We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dartmouth or Kingswear?

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dartmouth or Kingswear?

I'm planning a short 2-3 day stay in the Dartmouth/Kingswear area and would appreciate any comments or advice as to these two locations. Both are incredibly picturesque, and both have several nice hotels/B&Bs to choose from. I have looked at two in particular-Nonsuch House in Kingswear and Orleans House in Dartmouth, which both have very nice rooms with great harbor and river views. There also seems to be a trade relative to public transportation and dining-Kingswear has better connectivity to Totnes via bus and to the Paignton station via bus or the steam train, both of which require a ferry ride from Dartmouth. OTOH, Dartmouth has many more restaurants and is closer to the Naval College and Dartmouth Castle. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear?

There are 2 or 3 ferries which take 5 minutes and run continuously during the day. I would opt for Dartmouth to stay and go over to Kingswear to catch the train, unless you would prefer the very close, intimate nature of Kingswear which kind of clings to the rocks above the train station. Dartmouth is bigger, flatter, and more modern with many more shops.

Paignton
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear?

Dartmouth, every time. I live in Paignton. There is very little in Kingswear in the way of evening entertainment, Dartmouth has more choice of food/drink outlets as well as shops. You can get a bus from Dartmouth to Totnes or if you are going to go to Torbay there is a passenger ferry which offers a good service across the Dart to Kingswear.

Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear?

I have to vote Dartmouth too - best restaurants and a nice little boat ride gets you to the other side of the river for transport

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear?

Definately Dartmouth. Enjoy.

5. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 08:20