We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Can anybody tell me whether Dartmouth is s suitable holiday destinatiion for us to bring our dog? She's a Border Collie so therefore needs lots of exercise, so we're looking for somewhere with access to plenty of wide-open spaces when she can run off the lead. Also, as we'd be self-catering, we need somewhere where she'd be welcomed in a pub bar so we could go out and eat at night (most cottages ask that a dog is not left unattended in the property). Any advice would be welcome, thanks :)

27 replies to this topic
Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Dartmouth is quite touristy and very popular. When are you looking at coming to Devon? High season?

Dartmouth is a very pretty harbourside town, I have walked around the town with my dogs but I wouldn't say the town/area itself offers "wide open spaces". In high season or on a sunny day the town will be heaving (parking is very bad). Nearest beach is Blackpool Sands but they don't allow any dogs. Slapton & Bee sands are close by (car drive) which I have visited with my dogs.

Do you want to stay in the town? You might be better off out of town with a drive in, which would give you the advantage of exploring the whole area as there's a lot to see.

You could get to wide open spaces from Dartmouth or you could get to Dartmouth from another location that offers wide open spaces (if you get what I mean?!!). I would have suggested maybe staying on Dartmoor, which has plenty of wide open space & walks but your dog will have to be on a lead during lambing season on the open moor. However Dartmoor does offer various forests & reserviors etc where you could walk your dog off the lead away from roaming livestock.

You could try and get S/C accommodation on a farm that offered walks maybe? We have stayed in many cottages that were either based on a "country estate" or farm where they allow their guests to exercise their dogs on the land.

Helpful holidays have some good accommodation in the area.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

For example, have found this one on Dartmoor. Located near Widecombe-in-the-Moor which is a lovely village.

Farm Estate with over 400 acres to explore. They welcome dogs and describe it as "doggy heaven" with access to fields on the farm with no livestock so dogs can roam off lead. The cottages are lovely!! You can even leave your dogs with the owners if you want to pop out.

holwelldartmoor.co.uk/dog-and-horse-friendly…

Edited: 20 November 2011, 13:44
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Thanks for your links Masie, and your advice. I think perhaps Dartmouth may be a bit too touristy for us. Need to find somewhere a bit less busy or also where there's a choice of (dog-friendly) pubs within walking distance because we both like to have a drinkie or two at night (that's me and my husband, not me and the dog - she's teetotal :D!!)

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

We are in Dartmouth at the moment with our 2 setters and a pointer and they need loads of exercise! We come down here all the time and I have to disagree. Dartmouth is so dog friendly ours go everywhere bar a couple of resturants with us.

They are welcome in all the pubs even those serving food and are welcomed with a big fuss and dog biscuits. We take them out with us every night. So far this week they have been for dinner at the Royal Castle Hotel, Hunters Lodge in Cornworthy and the Ferry Boat Inn in Dittsham and are going to the Cherub tonight or tomorrow. Plus they have been in lots of pubs for drinks as well...!

There are so many fantastic walks locally for dogs off the lead and beaches that are either dog friendly all year round or have dog friendly parts all year round. Blackpool Sands is one of the few that does not allow dogs in peak season.

Dogs are even welcome on boat trips up the Estuary!

We rent our cottage out with Coast and Country Cottages http://www.coastandcountry.co.uk/ who have dog friendly places who do not make that request.

I'd completely recommend Dartmouth to anyone with a dog.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Emma - I didn't say anywhere in my message that Dartmouth was un friendly to dogs!

I live in Devon, so know the area. The OP was looking for wide open spaces with room to exercise her dog off the lead. Apart from the nearest beach, I would say Dartmouth itself does not offer "wide open spaces" but areas with a travel journey (be it by car or boat!) from Dartmouth would maybe offer a greater choice of what they are looking for.

As mentioned in my post the OP might be better staying off in town and travel out of the town for "wide open spaces" or staying out of town and travelling into Dartmouth for shops/pubs etc which I have no doubt are dog friendly.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Thank you both - much appreciate your input. Masie, yes our Collie needs a good run every day but we wouldn't mind having a drive (or boat) to do a daytime walk, that would be just fine. Emma, at night we like to be close to a choice of places to eat that we can get to on foot (and on paw) so knowing there's dog-friendly pubs and eating places in the town itself is great. Masie, we're thinking of coming early May - is that a particuarly busy time or would it be not too crowded?

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

I think you would be ok early May as you would avoid the school half term at the end of May and the 2 bank holidays we have next year beginning in June.

Loads of places to eat in Dartmouth and surrounding area.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

May is the calm before the storm of the busy summer season!

Honestly you and your dog will love Dartmouth!! Ours adore it, as soon as the car starts to be packed you cannot get them out of it as they know where we are going :-)

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Thanks for your help - am busy googling holiday cottages now! :)

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??

Hope you find the right place, our 3 are sulking as we came home last night. if only there was a way to tell them we will be there again in a few weeks!

Reply to: Dartmouth - Dog-friendly Destination??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted