We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Which Dartmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Hi please could anyone reccomend anywhere to eat with a small child in and around Dartmouth. We will be staying at a cottage near Dartmouth golf centre for a week. Our son is 1. Just need to be able to get kids portions and highchair but also don't want to feel like we are spoiling anyone's lunch or evening as he plays.

Many thanks

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Are you staying at the Golf & Country Club? If so they have excellent restaurant facilities.

In Dartmouth itself, there are lots of cafes and restaurants, mostly child friendly.

Some pubs however do not allow children.

In nearby Torcross/Slapton, the Start Bay Inn ( fish restaurant) has a family seating area designated to young children.

I don't think you'll have a problem, even further afield in nearby Totnes, lots of choice and also Brixham, Paignton and Torquay via the ferry.

The Ship in Dock ( Dartmouth) and Royal Dart Inn (Kingswear) both allow children for certain.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Most establishments that don't alllow children have signs advertising the fact but the majority are child-friendly. Seven seems to be the age at which some places deem children to be acceptable!

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

No idea where you would get the idea from that any pub in Dartmouth is not child friendly...

The Cherub is a lovely pub and children can go in, it is however small downstairs and is a bar area so I don't think they have high chairs or as the restaurant upstairs is up a steep windy staircase that you would want to eat up there (again not sure that they have high chairs or childrens meals).

The George and Dragon http://www.gandddartmouth.co.uk/ prides itself on being children friendly and has an outside area unlike many so a great place to go.

The Dolphin Inn again welcomes children, not sure if it has high chairs but I have seen loads of children in there.

The Windjammer http://www.thewindjammer.co.uk/ does a childrens menu

The Rockfish http://www.rockfishdevon.co.uk/ is really chlldren friendly, the walls are covered in their pictures and they provide drawing materials the second they walk in.

The Station Cafe is right by the river front and is the only place we have not eaten in Dartmouth in all our years with a house there but it looks like a really child friendly place.

Alf's is fantastic http://www.cafealfresco.co.uk/ always full of families we always have brunch there every time we are down.

The only place that I can think of that I have not seen non resident children in is the Galleon Bar at the Castle Hotel (only resident children under 14 can go in that bar) and as I say we have eaten in EVERY place (bar one) in Dartmouth at one stage or other over the years even one on a boat in the river!

Dartmouth is a really family place and I can't think that you could go anywhere that you would not be welcome.

You will always find one grump though where ever you go sadly. We always eat in the Galleon Bar in the Castle Hotel with our 3 large dogs (the bar staff know them by name!) and we sat in our usual corner and they all tucked themselves under the table and went to sleep as normal and a man on the table next to us made a huge fuss as they let dogs in.... He and his wife in the end cancelled their meal and left! You would have thought that the dog water bowl in the entrance and the jar of dog biscuits on the side may have given him the hint there may be dogs allowed ;-)

Have a great time it is a stunning place!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Went to Dartmouth this jubilee weekend! We are a local family and stayed near Dartmouth for a family break! Know the area really well as we are both local! This was my second time going to Dartmouth with my 1 year old son and was appalled with the response from the people in Dartmouth!

First of all I tried to go into a antique shop to find my partner a birthday present and as soon as I entered the owner said to her husband really loudly "This shop Is too small for pushchairs" I walked out straight away feeling very unwelcome!

The next day we went down as a family and found getting into anywhere for something to eat was impossible although it was so busy being the jubilee weekend but cafes did not seem to want children under the age of seven in them!

Being a local family we walked away from our holiday really disappointed with Dartmouth and felt that Dartmouth people are only for the older wealthier people! Not interested in tourism or the younger generation!

Has anyone else felt this as I spoke to quite a few people local and people on holidays after my experience and they pretty much said the same!

Lovely area shame on some of the people of Dartmouth!

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

One of the problems with a place like Dartmouth is that the cafes and restaurants are not that spacious so a pushchair can seem like a huge obstacle.

I'm sorry that it was such a nightmare for you but generally speaking I don't think it's that bad although there are restrictions on children in many places. On the other hand taking a pushchair into an antiques shop is probably not a good idea!

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

What a shame that you felt like that, friends with small children have stayed with us loads and we have never recived that reaction and they have been welcomed everywhere. We know the only bar we cannot take them (or any children under 14) into so don't go there.

The shop/cafes in most of the places in that area are small and they and large pushchairs are not a great fit quite literally... They are old buildings and not designed with large floor areas unlike modern builds.

IMHO <<that Dartmouth people are only for the older wealthier people! Not interested in tourism or the younger generation!>> is completely off the mark for a town that thrives on tourism and is full of families with young children who return year on year.

From someone who is not old or wealthy but adores Dartmouth and its welcoming residents.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Re: Heron

I too am upset that you feel Dartmouth was unwelcoming. We love the place, we too have a holiday home in the area and our Grandchildren have been going to Dartmouth since they were babies ( now 13 & 9) and have never had the sort of reaction you have.

Dartmouth thrives on Tourism, perhaps you were just unfortunate with the places you chose to visit. I also have to add sometimes in small shops pushchairs can be a big hazard to others, so maybe you are being a little unfair to expect to take one into a small shop.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 17:47
Derby
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

Thanks for all the info everyone. mixed responses so I will see how we get on and let you all know. Finges crossed the weather gets better. :)

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

we at The George and Dragon welcome children of all ages, http://www.gandddartmouth.co.uk/ .

Gloucester
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dartmouth & area child friendly eating

We also at the Dart Cafe, Church Street are child friendly. We have a couple of booster seats as unfortunately we are too small for highchairs. We have a childrens menu & childrens books on our shelves.