We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

Hi we're thinking of coming to Dartmouth for a few days break in September and was just wondering where would be the best area to stay in? We are looking for a b&b and will have a car so will need somewhere with parking. We would like somewhere sort of central, where we can walk to see all the sites, shops, pubs & restaurants etc but ideally not anywhere with steep hills, - is there a certain area we should be looking at for the above?

Also price will be a consideration as dont want anything too expensive, - ideally less than £90 per night for a room in a b&b.

Thanks

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

Dartmouth is not that big and if its this September your choice may be limited So it may be where you can get in Your budget may also be a little on the low side Dartmouth is lovely but pricey

I would choose the Dart Marina Hotel flat walk into town with large car park but I suspect far more than your budget

Sure locals may be able to help more

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

Don't think the Dart Marina will be a cheap option, ideal situation but feel sure it will be more than your budget. Parking is a problem in Dartmouth, most places in the town don't have parking spaces. You would have more choice in 'Higher' town, but it would mean a long walk down a steep hill to the town, there is a bus service though.

As an option if you don't have any luck, you could stay in Brixham, drive to Kingswear, leave the car in the marina car park and take the foot ferry over to Dartmouth. More choice in Brixham.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 11:02
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks for the replies, yes I had a look at Dart Marina, very nice but well out of our price range, plus we would prefer a B&B anyway rather than a hotel. What is Brixham like as an area compared to Dartmouth? Does it still have plenty of things to do & places to eat & drink? Also how easy would it be to get into Dartmouth from there, is it far?

Thanks

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

Dartmouth is not that big and if its this September your choice may be limited So it may be where you can get in Your budget may also be a little on the low side Dartmouth is lovely but pricey

I would choose the Dart Marina Hotel flat walk into town with large car park but I suspect far more than your budget

Sure locals may be able to help more

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

Brixham is a fishing town, but plenty going on. It has plenty of places to eat, shops etc. within the town. Brixham has a nice harbour area and a Marina, good views across Torbay from Breakwater Beach, it's more 'seasidey' than Dartmouth also a lot less expensive. The ferries(higher and lower) to get to Dartmouth ( which is on the other side of the Dart estuary) are about 5-10 minutes drive, depending on the area you are staying. There are two car ferries, the Higher ferry, being the larger one, which takes approx 32 cars. The cost is £4.70 each way, then there would be parking costs in Dartmouth. This is why I suggested driving to Kingswear ( again about 5-10 minutes) parking in the marina car park near the rail station and getting the foot ferry over, which is, if I remember just about £1.25 person, it would probably work out cheaper, plus take the strain from finding somewhere to park.

The reason I suggested Brixham is mainly you will find a lot more choice in your price bracket. If you stay in Brixham you have the added extra of being able to visit Paignton and Torquay which are only 15 - 20 minutes drive away. I love Dartmouth, but rarely spend more than a day there as you can see all you want to see in a day.

The whole area gives you plenty of choice of places to eat and lots to see and do.

If you need any more info just ask. I have a home in Brixham so know it well.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

Sorry double post using mobile

Pevious poster has told u excellent information

Your biggest choice of hotels & b&b will be in Torquay where you do seem to get more for your money

As none of these places are far from each other I always choose Torquay for its hotels but always visit Dartmouth and Brixham

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks I will have a look into Brixham. I did initially look at Torquay, but was put off by negative reviews. We were thinking Dartmouth as it looks like a nice place as a base. Which area would be best to stay for driving to other locations to explore? Ie could we not visit Torquay or Paignton from Dartmouth?

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay

You can visit anywhere in the area from Dartmouth but it would be a longer drive. If you look on a map where Dartmouth is placed it's on an estuary. To get to say Torquay,Paignton,Brixham, you have to cross the water. you can drive around the back of Dartmouth to the same resorts but you have to go via Totnes, which has the only bridge across the river Dart. The road to Totnes is narrow and winding and the journey can take a long time if you get stuck behind a slow vehicle, very few passing places. From Dartmouth you can drive to Slapton then on to Kingsbridge, from there you can get to Salcome etc. Brixham is a cul-de-sac, once you're there you either have to cross the Dart, or re-trace your journey back to Paignton,Torquay etc.

A lot will depend on what you want to see, how long is your 'few days' and what you can fit in. There is a lot to keep you busy if you don't mind driving, for instance a visit to Dartmoor. In September the school will have gone back so roads will be quieter, but the area does attract the slightly older generation at that time of year. Don't be put off by some of the reports about Torquay, as with all seaside resorts it is suffering from the recession, but I don't agree with a lot of people that the town is dirty etc. It's no worse than many other resorts I assure you, and much better than many! The only problem with Torquay is that away from the seafront it is hilly, Paignton is much flatter, and has some good B & B's, the main shopping area has suffered again from the recession with some empty shops, but the sea front is nice.It's quieter than Torquay and is again flatter than Brixham. Not quite as many nice places to eat as either of the other resorts though.

If you let me know how long your visit is and what you're interested in seeing I can suggest some places to go

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay

As previous posts none are far from each other so does not really which resort you choose may be a case at this late date of where is available

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. We are thinking of coming for 4-5 days, depending on how much there is to do around the area. Dartmouth looked nice & pretty and had some good reviews, we liked the idea of the river & maybe doing a boat trip & some river walks, lunch in a pub overlooking it that kind of thing. My wife is pregnant so not looking for a full on kind of break but more relaxed really, just a bit of looking around, finding some nice cafes/pubs/restaurants for food etc so maybe a day in Dartmouth, and then day trips out in the car to surrounding areas. Not too sure of what's around there yet but quite liked the idea of the boat & steam train trip, maybe a drive to Dartmoor & some other towns along the coast etc things like that.

Our 2nd option would be to come to Devon for just 2-3 days and then drive further down the coast to Cornwall & stay there for a couple of days but we are undecided as yet, just trying to get some information about the different towns and areas etc.

Thanks for your help