We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Which Dartmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Can anyone tell me what happened to "Billy Budd's", "The Carved Angel" and another one which I think was called "the Merchant House"?. Have the owners moved elsewhere or do they still exist but under different names?

Pleasant memories of all 3 and am coming to Dartmouth shortly and was hoping they may have been revived in some shape or form.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

John Burton Race bought the Carved Angel and changed the name to the New Angel , he went bankrupt in 2009 and the place closed. I believe it is now called twentysix Cafe and Bistro and is getting some good reviews on trip advisor. I have not heard of the other restaurants, but Dartmouth is a culinary paradise so I dont think you will go hungry and I think you will find that since your last visit many more restaurants have opened.

if you fancy a trip over the Dart , Brixham is looking lovely these days and also has some nice eateries. Great views from the Berry Head hotel and a lovely outside eating area with views right across the bay.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

In addition to what treetops41 says, I am pretty confused as to what has happened to the Carved Angel/New Angel. Firstly, twentysix cafe is a different place entirely (sorry to correct you treetops!). When I was in Dartmouth a couple of weeks ago I passed the Carved Angel, and it looked open, but I didn't have a chance to spare more than a glance. It appears to be called Angelique now, and on Tripadvisor has some recent reviews (which refers to it being recently re-opened). However, on the Tripadvisor listing it says CLOSED, and when you click through to the website, it does not open. It is quite possible that it has changed its name again, and next time I'm in Dartmouth, I will make a point of checking it out. The Merchant House is just a self catering place these days, from what I can gather, and I've never heard of Billy Budd's - it certainly isn't there anymore!

As treetops says though, there are plenty of great places to eat in Dartmouth and the surrounding area, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Tx everybody

I'm going back a bit but when I lived in Paignton, Billy Budd's was one of my favourite restaurants to visit - it was a bistro style place in Fosse Street.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Joyce Molyneux, who originally ran The Carved Angel, retired in around 1999. I can't remember who ran it till John Burton-Race took it over and changed the name to the New Angel. The next owner called it Angelique.

I read recently that John Burton-Race is opening (or has just opened) a new restaurant in Notting Hill, which he is going to call the New Angel.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Think Billy Budds has been closed for years, on Foss Street the only place to eat is No 8 think it has been called that since 2011 maybe even earlier than that.

Was the Merchant House down by the Lower Ferry?

Lots of amazing places to eat still in Dartmouth so you will find some new favourites I'm sure. Some old favourites like Alf's are still there though :-)

Edited: 24 May 2014, 17:56
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Tx Emma

I seem to remember the Merchant House was in the narrow street between Lower Street and the riverfront, so yes it was near the Lower Ferry.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

I am sure that it is now this one http://www.bayardscoveinn.co.uk/ think the old name sounds familiar

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Tx Emma but not the same place.

The Merchant House was what it suggested. It was a big house halfway up the little street between the river and Lower Street and I'm guessing in past times it may have had something to do with the maritime trade.

As you rightly say there are loads of restaurants in Dartmouth and it may not have stayed open for too long.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

No idea where that could be then as I can't think of any restaurants or places where they could have been on Oxford St, Hauley Rd (there is a café called the Spinning Wheel) or on the little alley/road that Marchand Petit used to be on or the alley/road by Pillars that leads to the hospital and they are the only roads between Lower Street and the river.

Love to know where it was when you get back, hope you have a great trip :-)

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Former restaurants in Dartmouth

Could it have been the Market House or even the Mansion House?

It was definitely in one of the little narrow streets between the river and Lower Street.