We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Exeter or Taunton??

I'm going to be starting a new job in taunton in May. I currently live in Plymouth and so want to move somewhere closer to work. I can't decide where to move to; Exeter or taunton. Looking to rent first of all. It would be myself and partner in mid-late 20's. I roughly know Exeter and don't really know taunton at all. Anyone got advice on which would be better?? Also what areas of Exeter and taunton are nice to live in? looking for quietish area. Would really appreciate some advice and info from anyone that knows exeter or taunton well. Thanks!

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exeter or Taunton??

Why not try in between the 2?

I currently live 20 miles north of Exeter in a small rural village about 3 miles from a town called Cullompton. It takes me 25 minutes either way to get to Exeter or Taunton via the M5. Cullompton itself is right on the M5, I personally dont like Cullompton - its a bit of a ghost town to be honest, but there are some lovely villages around here with easy access to the M5. Sampford Peverell is a nice village, with 2 pubs and the Grand Western canal running through it, it depends how quiet you want to be.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exeter or Taunton??

Thanks Maisie for your response. Do you know anything about Wellington?

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exeter or Taunton??

I live on the outskirts of Wellington and work in Taunton having previously lived in and commuted from Newton Abbot and one of my daughters lives in Exeter.

Exeter is bigger and has more shops than Taunton but the commute up the M5 will be into the sun in the morning and into the sun in the evening and I found it very tiring.

Taunton has plenty of shops, restaurants, pubs, a busy theatre, multi-screen cinema and (if you're into sport) Somerset County Cricket. There are some nice pubs in the villages around Taunton and of course you're that little bit nearer to Bristol and London.

Wellington has a cinema, supermarkets, leisure centre with swimming pool, Boots, W H Smith and most of the high street banks. It's an easy drive into Taunton either along the A38 or up the M5 depending on where you'll be working.

I'm in New York at the moment but will be back home soon so if you've got any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exeter or Taunton??

Thanks WaltR for your response. Its interesting and a little confusing hearing different opinions about places to live, but all useful! I think we are going to move to the Taunton area to start off as we are renting, then look around for somewhere to buy. If you could reccomend any areas in Taunton or maybe some of the villages around Taunton it would be really useful. Thanks.

5. Re: Exeter or Taunton??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 05:27