We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choir Accommodations

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Choir Accommodations

This may seem like an odd post but I have been given the task of sussing out good accommodations for our church choir potentially singing at Exeter Cathedral in 2011. The choir consists of 30-40 people in the 35-75 year old range (mostly single persons but with approximately four couples). In looking at the Tripadvisor recommendations, I'm not finding great recommendations for hotels and as several of our choir members have mobility difficulties, I was hoping to find something that would be within a ten minute walk that would provide breakfast and dinner and comfortable room at reasonable rates. For those of us who are younger, it is not as crucial but we still need to be close enough that we can attend rehearsals and services and still manage to enjoy dining in the evening at a decent hour (7:30 p.m. or thereabouts). Your recommendations and comments would be most appreciated.

Allison

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choir Accommodations

Have you asked the Cathedral for advice?

I am sure this is something they encounter on a regular basis with other visiting choirs so I would expect them to have ideas and advice.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choir Accommodations

Value for money & a good quality rooms. All rooms are ensuite. Usually next door to reasonably price resturant. I believe the one in Exeter is known as the Countess Wear

www.premierinn.com

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choir Accommodations

If your trip is during the university vacation, you might be interested in staying in university accommodation:

exeter.ac.uk/eventexeter/accommodation.php

I think that the St Luke's campus may be slightly nearer the Cathedral than the Streatham campus (which is about 15-20 minutes walk uphill from the Cathedral).

devon
Level Contributor
384 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choir Accommodations

how about the new Jollys hotel? only 5 mins from cathedral. The location would meet all your needs. Should be modern and clean, new this year.

Also a new premier inn is opening near to St Davids station. not open yet but should be by 2011. 10/15 mins to Cathedral, Taxis are available from station for less mobile. The walk back to the premier inn would take you past some good restaurants etc.

Good luck with the search.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choir Accommodations

Thanks for the responses. My spouse and I have not been able to access e-mail for a couple of weeks so tonight is the first chance to respond. Apparently the cathedral staff did not provide any assistance in response to accommodations so we are having to search it out ourselves. I will take your recommendations back to the committee for their feedback. Your comments have all be very much appreciated.

Allison

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choir Accommodations

My first thought was that the cathedral staff are being surprisingly unhelpful, but perhaps it is not a question that they have to deal with regularly. I imagine that most groups of this type would use a travel agency that specializes in this area to make their arrangements.

Given that you are not doing that, I’d suggest you get in touch with the Exeter TIC, evit@exeter.gov.uk , and elicit their assistance. I suspect you are going to have to be more specific in your requirements. Your original post implies that you want 4 double rooms, and 26 to 36 single rooms. That’s going to be challenge. But perhaps there can be some (same sex) sharing of twin rooms, so your needs might only be 4 double rooms and 13 to 18 twin rooms, an easier task.

I take it, from your request that accommodation be near the cathedral for the benefit of the less-abled, that you are not hiring a coach and driver for your overall tour. Because, if you were, you could be driven back and forth between the hotel and cathedral. If you are not doing this, how are you arriving and leaving Exeter, since that could affect lodging options?

It’s been a decade since I have been in Exeter, but I remember that there was an historic hotel directly across the cathedral green in front of the cathedral.

7. Re: Choir Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 05:16