We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Exeter from London

Sydney
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Exeter from London

Can anyone give me some advice on how to easily travel to Exeter from London by public transport, ?? train ? bus. Thanks

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

Train from Paddington - fast, expensive if not booked in advance

Train from Waterloo - a bit slower, a bit cheaper. Booked as megatrain can be cheaper still

National Express from Victoria Coach Station - cheap for walkon, cheaper still booked in advance

Megabus - book in advance only. Cheap, but not always megacheap.

The bus routes are all slower than rail

Edited: 22 August 2010, 11:20
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

Another option is to avoid London by taking the frequent railair bus link from Heathrow to Reading station then train to Exeter (it's the same train which originates from London Paddington).

In the past it's not been possible to collect pre-booked train tickets for many routes at Heathrow airport and there's been a bit of debate on this forum as to whether that's still the case. As a precaution I'd recommend booking an advance ticket for Reading / Exeter separately....and allowing plenty of time for flight arrival, potential flight delays and also include 1hr for railair bus transfer to Reading. Pre-booked train tickets can be easily collected at Reading station either from ticket machines or staffed ticket desks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

Thanks guys, a few more questions, I will be staying near London Tower, which is the easiest railway station to get to and how do I buy my ticket in advance?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

Firstly I must have confused your journey requirements with another recent post - please disregard comments re railair link to Reading as I understand you are travelling from London to Exeter, not directly from Heathrow.

Most trains to Exeter, certainly the faster ones, depart from London Paddington which is easily accessible by tube and bus. Best train fares are obtained by booking advance single tickets as soon as possible after tickets go on sale, normally about 10 - 12 weeks in advance but apart from peak times / dates decent prices can stick around for quite a while. Timetable and booking (site accepts overseas payment cards and does not add any booking / seat reservation fees): www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Default.aspx

Collection of pre booked tickets is simple - there are ticket machines and staffed ticket desks at many stations including London Paddington. Remember to bring with you the bnooking reference sent as email confirmation at time of booking together with payment card used.

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

"Thanks guys, a few more questions, I will be staying near London Tower, which is the easiest railway station to get to and how do I buy my ticket in advance?"

Do you mean the Tower of London? If so, you can catch a Circle Line train in going via Liverpool St and Kings X stations for Paddington of the same line in the other direction (via Victoria) and change to the Bakerloo Line (via Oxford Circus) to Paddington - the second option is faster despite changing lines.

For Waterloo, go to Embankment (as above) and change again on to the Bakerloo Line, but going south towards Elephant & Castle. Waterloo is then the first stop.

I've always called the Waterloo to Exeter line the "inter-village" service. It is considerably slower than the Paddington line and seems prone to a lot of engineering work. The ticket prices aren't necessarily any cheaper either.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

Getting to either Paddington or Waterloo will do for trains to Exeter. The route from Waterloo is somwhat more scenic, but the trains aren't as nice.

I'd assume that you 'dreally would like to end up close to the center in Exetrer. If so, then get off the Waterloo line at Exeter Central. If using the Paddington one, there are lifts from the patform over to Platform 1 at St Davids. Regular trains from St Davids up the hill to Central.

Sydney
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. I really appreciate the info and tips.

Yes, I did mean the Tower of London and yes, I would like to arrive close to the centre of Exeter.

8. Re: How to get to Exeter from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 08:17