We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Exeter to London

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Exeter to London

Hi all,

My son is going to a language course in Torbay this summer. We want to fly back home from a London airport.

Before we go home we'd like to do some sightseeing in London. What is the best and most economical way to get to London?

I need to rent a car for a few days when I arrive at the Exeter airport and I wonder if I could drive the car near London somewhere and than catch the train or tube. I have inquired at a few carrental companies but so far I have not been able to find one.

If I can do this, which drop off place would be the best?

Kind regards,

Petra

Exeter Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Powderham Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Exeter Quay
Points of Interest & Landmarks
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

If you are renting the car for more than 3 days try Auto Europe's website, read the small print to make there are no one way drop fee surprises.

If you aren't wanting to stop along the way to see things, I would take the train from Exeter can be very economical with megabus.co.uk (tickets under £10) is worth a try, you can nab some very cheap tickets, just make sure to select travel by train option, the route used to London is the slower one (than the one to Paddington) but it can be worth it in savings. You will save on petrol too.

Hope that helps

bluenosegirl.com

London
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

All the major rental companies (Hertz Avis Europcar) offer one way rentals. However, their depots are generally at airports or in city centres, not at train/tube stations.

There is usually a surcharge for one way rental, so unless there is something that you really want to see between Exeter and London it may be simpler to drop the car back at Exeter then come up to London on the train.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,765 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

Always find the train or 'national express' coaches are quicker and you arrive more refreshed. Cheap especially by train. and you can watch the countryside, eat, get a coffee, go to the loo without having to pull in with the hoards at service stations. First Great Western and trainline.com are also booking sites. During the day is usually cheaper, morning & evenings not so much.

Level Contributor
3,494 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

I'd just use the train, its a hassle of a drive and train, either into Waterloo or Paddington is a lot more pleasant

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

Beste Polly,

de trein van Exeter naar London Waterloo is inderdaad de beste, rustigste en mooiste oplossing http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk. Een goede autoverhuurder vind je hier practical.co.uk/locations/…exeterairport.

Veel plezier!

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

Dear all,

Thanks, I will catch a bus or a train! Looks like it 's not worth driving up!

Polly

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1,295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

I would definitely go for the megatrain too

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

book early but get the train. the coach (bus) may be cheap but is an extremely uncomfortable way of getting to london, traffic jams are frequent and subsequent delays don't add up to a relaxing holiday experience.

9. Re: Getting from Exeter to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 09:18