We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

I'm from the USA and this is my first trip to Exeter, with my husband. He will be in a conference and I will be on my own without an auto. Is there a bus tour that will take me to the coast and back (day trip)? Saturday would be the most likely day, as I will tour Exeter itself on Friday.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

There are several, quite scenic, railway lines to the coast from there (see links).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocet_Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riviera_Line

The operator is First Great Western:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

I very much doubt there will be any sort of guided bus tour since this is such a short and easy journey. I am sure you could get to several beaches by local bus (someone else will post the details I am sure, as I don't know). However, I would highly recommend taking the train to Exmouth as the view from the train are spectacular. The train is so close to the water it gets washed by the waves. I've only done this on holiday so hopefully someone who lives in the area will now post with more details. It's easy though. go to station, buy ticket, get on train.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

I would recommend Exmouth which I've done a couple of times as it's the nearest main seaside town and it's quite nice too with a lovely sandy beach. You can go from either the city centre station Exeter Central, or the main station Exeter St Davids whichever is nearest to your hotel. Only takes 30 mins. You can check train times at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/. I wouldn't ask for the "Avocet line" as I think these terms are just used by the tourist office rather than a familiar term in use at the station. On the other line you could go to Dawlish but it's smaller with not so much going on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

>On the other line you could go to Dawlish but it's smaller with not so much going on.

The advantage of going to Dawlish though, is that the station and town are right on the beach, literally (look on google images). With Exmouth there's quite a walk.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 18:34
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
886 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

Highly recommended is to take the X53 'hop on hop off' bus from Exeter along the Jurassic Coast (going towards Bournemouth). No need to travel that far though; the two main stops I would recommend are Beer and Lyme Regis, both gorgeous yet quite different places. Give yourself a full day, and make sure you plan the times so you don't get left behind in one of your stops with the last bus gone. And ensure you sit on top (it is a double decker) as that gives prime viewing (over the Devon hedges!).

You'll have a great day.

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

Thank you all SO MUCH! this is the first time I'm using TripAdvisor and I'm sold!

Thanks again!

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

How how cute that Avocet train looks! I'll feel as though I'm with Thomas the Tank Engine. (My son LOVED Thomas. And although my son is now 22 years old, I still have many of the cars, of several scales, and a couple of the VHS, although I gave some VHS to others. When we have young couples with little ones over, I like to bring out the Thomas toys. Still a big hit. )

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

Another vote for the X53 double decker bus. Beer and Lyme Regis are within a few hours journey and the scenery is lovely.

DO make sure you don't miss the return journey though as they don't run all that often!

Beer is a cute English fishing village and Lyme is a larger town (but still small!) where the film the French Lieutenant's Woman was filmed.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

You haven't said when you're travelling but I'd add another vote for the X53 bus - I'd recommend to Seaton. One leaves Exeter bus station(current timetable) at 10.45, arrives Seaton Seafront 11.50. Return journeys. leaves Seaton at 15.20 or 17.20 gets to Exeter bus station an hour later.

If you decide on Seaton, ask if there's a stop near the tram terminus, and take an hour or two to take the scenic tram ride alongside the Axe estuary. Lots of wild life and scenic views, there's a restaurant at the far end for a light lunch.

http://www.tram.co.uk/

Unfortunately, the tramway does close down through winter months.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get from Exeter to the Coast?

Just a follow up - I noticed you said you'd be taking a look at Exeter one day, the local council do guided tours

www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=668