We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

Hi there myself and pregnant wife are looking for a nice relaxing holiday in the english countryside not interested in citys big hotels etc, What were looking for is a nice little country village or small town with a couple of pubs resturants etc, im told the place is full of old charactor charm but i just need a heads up on wheres best and wheres to be avoided were thinkin on mid to late may any hotels b and b suggestions ber great too, THINK IDEALLY ID LOVE A ROOM IN AN OLD PUB FOR A NIGHT OR TWO

Devon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

Try the Globe Hotel in Topsham. Topsham ticks all the boxes you mention I think, and Globe is lovely OldyWorldy type of place. They're on Tripadvisor if you wish to read reviews / check details.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

I happen to like Exeter or close by as a base. It's close to the M5, A38, A30, so you can travel in most directions quite easily. One thing you should be aware of, the Devon County Show is on 17th-19th May, just outside Exeter, and you may have trouble getting accommodation over those few days.

Okehampton, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

Chagford or Tavistock are both nice small towns with cafes, inns and nice strolls around, B & B's or selfcatering cottages. Bluebell woods nearby. Easy drives over the moor. Some nice National Trust places to visit such as Castle Drogo, Lydford Gorge, small Art galleries, dartmoor ponies, easy drives, Dartmoor Zoo. RHS garden at Rosemoor. Mystic Gardens. Standing stones.

Plenty of good country pubs with food and tea shops selling Devon Cream teas.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,311 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

Loads of old worldy pubs with accommodation in Devon. This is a good site www.iknow-devon.co.uk/all_devon/pub_inns/

If you want something special the Rising Sun at Lynmouth si lovely thatched overlooking the sea. http://www.risingsunlynmouth.co.uk/

Or Woolacombe with its lovely long sandy beach http://www.watersmeethotel.co.uk/ - both have great surroundings.

Mid May would be best to avoid the Bank Holiday. Travelling in Devon at that time is NOT relaxing!

Edited: 19 March 2012, 00:08
Totnes, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

I recommend Dartmoor. Holne is a lovely little village on the moor with a great pub, The Church House Inn (one of many pubs of that name in Devon) which does excellent food. See

www.westcountrylets.co.uk/pubs-of-devon.html

But it also get a very good write up on Tripadvisor for its rooms. I haven't stayed there myself but can certainly vouch for the food and the atmosphere. And you can take a short drive into Ashburton one day for some great cafes, antique shops and restaurants.

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

thanks for all the suggestions might even look into going to the devon county show as id be inoto that sort of thing prob will split our time between a few places id imagine renting a car is a must in the area?

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

Car rental Yup, a definite.

B&B if you're interested, Lower Thornton Farm. It's where I stay

http://bit.ly/GBe0DX

A working farm, completely isolated and peaceful, and yet only two miles or so from all main roads. Devon County show would be about 15 mins away normally, but traffic could increase the time dramatically.

Reasonable pub in village, lots of places to visit within just a few miles.

Oh and you might like to investigate the Cider Bar at Newton Abbott........

Edited: 20 March 2012, 07:33
devon
Level Contributor
386 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

I would do a few days on the moor and a few days by the sea

Try the rug, amazing little pub spitting distance from the cute cottage

www.rugglestoneinn.co.uk/Accomadation.html

Then Sidmouth or budleigh which will give easy access to the show by car

If you don't want to hire a car, topsham is quaint, nice pubs and good bus/train links

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

Hi there

My wife and I stayed at the Village Inn in Lynmouth a couple of years ago. It sits one street back from the harbour, is a real ale lover's dream, and the B & B accommodation is up there with the best I've ever stayed at.

http://www.villageinnlynmouth.co.uk/

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A relaxing week in devon, where should we go?

If you really want to get away from it all, North Devon is less crowded and has some beauftiful scenery, particularly along the coast and Exmoor.

Devonians will shoot me, as its across 'the border' in Somerset, but stayed here many years ago - great location between Exmoor and the Quantocks;

www.whitehorsestogumber.co.uk/index.html

Definitely need a car.