We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exeter in January

Which Exeter hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
485 reviews
Save Topic
Exeter in January

We will be in Exeter in the middle of January, arriving on January 11 and departing on January 14. Any suggestions or ideas for rail travel from London Paddington? It does not look like very much discount for making reservations in advance. There will be three traveling to Exeter and two returning (dropping off student at Exeter University). Also, what are the average temperatures? Thanks in advance.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exeter in January

If you travel from Waterloo instead of Paddington using the slower train to Exeter St Davids, 3 singles on the 9.20 train are coming up at £14.00 each.You could return on the 19.55 on 14th to Paddington £12.00 each. I think that's a good price!

January will be cold. It could be below zero and snowing, or it could be in single figures. There may be the odd day of sun, but it will still be cold.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exeter in January

I lived the a while, in general you can expect rain more than snow though there was snow at the weekend !

I wonder if the reason you aren't seeing much discount for booking early is the time between then and now, the cheapest prices go on release at about 12 weeks in advance but that's a rough guide it's not exact, if you look a week or so earlier are there much cheaper prices? If so, wait a few days.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exeter in January

Absolutely book train tickets in advance http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ and I would suggest the Paddington to Exeter route as it cuts about an hour of the same journey from Waterloo. You may end up booking 2 singles rather than a return (just look at the options), and should be able to travel for under £30pp. You NEVER get that sort of deal when just turning up and paying.

Exeter is a lovely city, and although it is hard to predict temperatures, single figures, possibly rain or snow is a valid suggestion.

Great dining options around the Cathedral square, cathedral itself, RAMM museum, good shopping, and maybe the odd trip out? I.e. take the cute train line to Lympstone, and then walk either onwards to Exmouth (with gorgeous Exe estuary on right), or back towards lovely Topsham. A bus trip to Dartmoor (or maybe hire a car for the day) also highly commended.

Check here for more local info: www.heartofdevon.com

Enjoy (you will!).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exeter in January

The cheap tickets (from Paddington) are available for your dates - you may need to be flexible on your timings but I can see a £16 single on the Monday for example

A walkon ticket is £75 return - superoffpeak which is a bit restrictive on times

If your student is 16-25 a railcard can get him/her discounts - you can book the fares now and buy the railcard on arrival

Edited: 06 November 2012, 11:33
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exeter in January

Remember when Annabelle says the weather will be cold, below zero with possible single digits, she is talking centrigrade, not fahrenheit.

Below zero or single digits will be temps in the 20s in degrees F. Yes, that is cold, but probably not very cold for someone from Colorado. It is likely to be more damp, though, than you are used to.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exeter in January

It may or not be relevant, but if you're on foot in Exeter, it's a VERY steep if shortish climb uphill onto the campus from Cowley Bridge Road. DGD always referred to it as heart-attack hill when she was there a few years back.......

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exeter in January

Don't know if you are dead set on the train but the Megabus is usually pretty cheap, on your dates of travel three adults can travel London to Exeter for £33.00 for all three...

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

england
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exeter in January

look at fare prices carefully and do not use the south west trains website as they are often more expensive. The trainline or red spotted hanky are usually comparable. There are discounts for 3 people travelling together and that may offset the value of the discount with a railcard. Your student may be able to get a railcard free if they open a UK bank account, I don't know what the current freebie offers are. Alternatively an NUS (National Union of Students) card wlll give a discount on a railcard. Despite the name megabus can include rail tickets but only bookable 6 weeks in advance.

Megabus tickets are often the cheapest way to travel, the bus goes into the centre of Exeter so not quite as close to the university. However some student accommodation may be closer to the bus station than the train stations. It won't make a vast difference on taxi fares, I imagine you'll have luggage....

When I was in Exeter I was told it rained one day in two but had trouble spotting the dry day. Be prepared for rain. Any other questions we can help with?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exeter in January

south west trains are the same price as the trainline except they do not charge a booking fee, so are actually less. It might be good to compare prices on the trainline, but then to go to the actual website to book the train.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,276 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exeter in January

I found the same as Annabelle. First Great Western gives me better prices than Trainline.

In Exeter the most excellent walks are done by Red Coat Guides which are reviewed on here dayvisits.co.uk/attractions/… they are free and show you the old Exeter behind the now overgrown centre. I actually go to Exeter just to go on one of their tours.

The Northcott Theater is very good, it is by the Univercity http://www.exeternorthcott.co.uk/

January temps can be low & the days short but it can have some unusually nice weather more than other months in winter. Bring warm clothes & waterproof jackets. It won't be teeshirt weather :-)