We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exeter in January

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
567 reviews
Save Topic
Exeter in January

We will be in Exeter in the middle of January, arriving on January 11 and departing on January 14. Any suggestions or ideas for rail travel from London Paddington? It does not look like very much discount for making reservations in advance. There will be three traveling to Exeter and two returning (dropping off student at Exeter University). Also, what are the average temperatures? Thanks in advance.

england
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Exeter in January

my experience - and that of others - is that south west trains is not always the same price and that when there is a difference it is more expensive than the booking fee. However redspottedhanky allows tickets to be collected from the station ticket machine (useful for foreign visitors) and I don't think there is a booking fee either.

Those buying tickets should always shop around, the websites don't always have exactly the same trains either.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Exeter in January

You can also collect tickets at a ticket machine when booking through south west trains website.

What has caught my attention though, is when you say the websites don't always have exactly the same trains! Can you give an example of this please as I am having a problem understanding what you mean.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
952 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Exeter in January

On the http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ website there are fares for £20.50 per person each way on the 10.00 from London Paddington arriving in Exeter at 1255 and back on the 0841 from Exeter arriving at 1138. This is cheaper because it takes the route to Exeter and back to London via Bristol rather than the slightly more direct route. The plus side is that the train will be very quiet after Bristol on the way down and the way back to Bristol.

There is a very good Wetherspoons pub, The Imperial, five minutes walk from Exeter St Davids station. Google it and you will get directions. It is also not too far from the main University campus. It is a very large old manor house and the highlight is the fabulous Orangery, a huge conservatory. The beer is also very good and there are basic but very cheap bar meals.

Exeter
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Exeter in January

I'm sure Owenthomas has plenty of info on the trains! Exeter is a great little city that has everything you need within walking distance. Beaches are less than an hour away as is Dartmoor is you are after scenery.

You get the most out of Exeter if you avoid the big venues and look around the side streets. Try The Old Firehouse for pizza, Curry Leaf for South Indian cuisine, the City Gate for good beers and Mama Stones for live music.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Exeter

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Exeter in January

Thanks to everyone for the information on getting to and enjoying Exeter. We are looking forward to exploring the city before we leave our student for the semester. Looks like a fairly compact and safe city – safe being the biggest concern. Will be purchasing the train tickets in the next day or two, after we have our plane tickets arranged. The unknown is always getting through border control. Thanks especially for the restaurant suggestions. We do like to stay away from some the chain places and eat locally, but never sure about that without recommendations. We will definitely plan on some cold weather.

england
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Exeter in January

quite simple - checked timetable for trains, went to websites to compare prices, the train we wanted wasn't listed on all the websites. Pretty wierd and I'm afraid I don't remember which website had omitted it, except that it wasn't megabus (where you expect to find only some trains for the OP's benefit).

In terms of places to eat you might like to try Buffet City one lunch time - central and all you can eat. More expensive than Wetherspoons and looks like a canteen but the beef in black bean sauce and honeyed pork more than make up for the surroundings.

Devon is one of the safest counties in Britain and Exeter a pretty safe city. Your student will have a great time, although they may learn about pub crawls :)

17. Re: Exeter in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 10:16