We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Which Exeter hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

I know its very short notice but my wife and 8 year old daughter are staying near Exeter next week for 5 days.

Are there any nice country pubs that serve proper food in the areas mentioned in the thread title ?

Not bothered about Harvesters, Chef & Brewer type places that just heat and serve.

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
647 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

You have lots of choice here but for starters might look at the Golden Lion at Tipton St John or the Anchor at Cockwood or the Ship at Cockwood or the Digger's Rest at Woodbury Salterton or the Jack in the Green at Rockbeare. We also like Pyne's Bar at the Bedford Hotel on Sidmouth seafront.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

The Five Bells at Clyst Hydon is the best country pub I've been to. Mason's Arms Hotel in Branscombe has a nice pub and good food. Branscombe would be a good outing. Between there and Beer is a coastal walk with fine views. A bus runs between the two villages.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Literally dozens of great independent pubs. To name a few in addition to abvove:

Lympstone - Globe and Swan

Rockbear - Jack in the Green

Whimple - Thursty Farmer

Honiton - Holt and Railway

Woodbury - Diggers Rest

Sidmouth - Anchor

Branscombe - Masons Arms and Fountain Head

Beer - Anchor

Just say stop.... :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

The Dolphin is pretty decent in Beer too. I'd recommend the Branscombe pubs too - the poster above who mentioned the walk between the two villages has got it right. I love that walk!

There are lots of great pubs in Topsham too - in fact you can't go wrong there really for food!

england
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

been to the Golden Lion a few times but looking for somewhere else when I'm next in the Exeter area as in my view it's gone downhill so I'm making notes on the other suggestions.

If walking in the Branscombe area be warned that there is often no mobile signal, that can be annoying. Good walks though. Mason's arms is always full of local people, their drinks were served first and that discourages me from returning. Ate at the Fountain Head before the menu became boring. Parking is limited there.

Personally I've not had great food in Beer's pubs, I'd prefer to have a takeaway there. Took so long to come in one of them we almost gave up and left - good value but not inspiring when we got it.

England
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Thank you both for your advice. We shall certainly check some of those.

Pity the weather forecast isn't great, but hey, we are on holiday.

Cheers

Mick

England
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Thank you to the subsequent posters as well.

Plenty of great advice and recommendations.

England
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Hi Buzzard

I have experienced locals being served first and with more manners on many occasions too, all over the UK.

Sat at the bar usually with a dog and their favourite pint glass.

Passing trade doesn't seem to matter to them.

Easily solved I don't go back !

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Feel I must add some perspective to Buzzard's rather sweeping statements.

Living in East Devon, and a regular to all the places (s)he mentions, all his/her comments are a first to me. Golden Lion downhill? Really? Not in my book. Masons serving locals first? Come off it. Menu in Fountain Head boring? Service in Beer slow?

Each to their own, but either you've been really unlucky, or maybe just hard to please?

Don't get me wrong, there are - as you find everywhere - places around here where these statements would apply, but - IMHO - not in the places mentioned. Quite the opposite in fact! They wouldn't be as busy as they are if they were.....

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great pubs/food near Exeter, Exmouth, Dawlish, Sidmouth pls?

Imho absence of a mobile signal on a fine walk is a blessing rather than an annoyance.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:57