We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Which Exeter hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denmark
Level Contributor
475 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Hello!

I decided to visit Cornwall in Easter and on my way back to London I'll stay one day in Exeter.

It is a bit difficult fo find information on the net about good old pubs in this city. What I mean is a pub with original interior and "good old days" atmosphere. I do not drink beer so it is not so important for me how many different beers are served. Can You recommend me some?

I am also interested in visiting a tea room with about the same characteristics. All help will be appreciated! :-)

Best regards!

Oscar

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Hi Oscar,

The White Hart is good.

www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx…

pub-explorer.com/devon/pub/whiteharthotelexe…

UK
Level Contributor
970 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

A few miles ( ? 5 ) from Exeter - but well worth the trip is one of the best pubs Ive been to - it was a few years ago that I visited -so maybe someone else whose been more recently can say if its still good.

Historic furniture and atmosphere, Great food , Fantastic selection of cheese - which I love and an expansive choice of whiskey which pleased others in our group. Great walking nearby. Ive often meant to go back and even stay.

More info www.nobodyinn.co.uk

Denmark
Level Contributor
475 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Thanks for your replies! I will check them both.

Funny enough I found in the Frommer's home page a list of Englands best pubs to be visited. The list had only 7 pubs (there are about 5000 pubs in London alone!) and Exeters The Ship Inn is among them.

Do You know it?

Best regards!

Oscar

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Oscar,

The Ship Inn is very central, and is very "olde worlde" on the outside, but I found it a bit disappointing inside. But, that's just my view. It is probably worth a visit anyway. Then then there's the Prospect Inn, by the Quay.

Denmark
Level Contributor
475 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Hi KuhalEarthshaker!

Thanks again !

If I am not wrong, the Ship Inn is very close to the Cathedral, so I will visit both of them. :-)

Best regards!

Oscar

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
378 posts
550 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Right opposite the Cathedral and far better than the Ship is the Well House which is next to and under the same ownership as The Royal Clarence Hotel. Good views and good beers.

The Nobody Inn is good but a fair way out and not that easy to find.

Denmark
Level Contributor
475 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

Hi exeman!

Thank you for your tip!

I´ve been looking around in the net and it seems that it is a pub in a superior class! I will cenrtainly visit it!

Best regards!

Oscar

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

OK, Oscar, I went on a special trip to Exeter, so I could find a Tea Room for you. (OK, so I happened to be there...) There is a great Traditional Tea Room close to the Cathedral, it's called Hanson's Tea Rooms, Catedral Green, between a decent Chain Italian Restaurant, called Ask, and the Ship.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

OMG you HAVE to find the Nobody Inn. I used to live in Exeter and used to travel out there regularly. It really is one of the best pubs ever and I had almost forgotten all about it!! Do you drink whisky? If so, make you you get someone else to drive you out there. It is hard to find, all I can remember is turn right at the tower! Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
970 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good old pubs and Tea Rooms in Exeter

To find The Nobody Inn, turn off the A38 at the top of Haldon Hill (signposted Exeter Racecourse, Forest Walks, Dunchideock) and then follow signs to Doddiscombsleigh. 3 miles

I tried to post a map reference but it was too long for the post -

For directions use this link

http://www.fatbadgers.co.uk/devon.htm

then use the "click here" tab on the Nobody Inn write up and it will take you to a detailed map.

Get answers to your questions about Exeter