We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Bristol
9 posts
Save Topic
Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Hi,

I am going to exmoor over the august bank holiday with my partner for a mini honeymoon and I am looking for a Inn in a lovely area, within walking distance of other restaurants, pubs, shops etc...It has to be reasonable, as our actual honeymoon is later in the year. We would also be doing lots of walking ourselves so walks nearby are needed....

Any help gratefully received as I have been searching the internet and there are too many nice looking Inns down there to choose from!

So, any recommendations??

Thanks

Elaine

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Hi Elaine

We have stayed at The Village Inn at Lynmouth a few times. OK - it's on the coast right on the northern edge of Exmoor but it's a charming place with large ensuite rooms, a huge breakfast and it's right by the harbour. We usually pay £60 a night for the ensuite double with breakfast and it is one of the best we've ever stayed in. The pub beneath the B & B ( all owned by the same couple) sells real cask ales as do other pubs in the town

You are within driving distance of much of what Exmoor offers plus there are some stunning walks around the Lynmouth & Lynton areas.

ww.villageinnlynmouth.co.uk

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Sorry

www.villageinnlynmouth.co.uk

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

I hope you get some other suggestions, though GBfromD is usually very good with his recommendations.

You could try contacting the local CAMRA branch, and maybe they will have some good ideas for you??

http://www.northdevoncamra.org.uk/

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

I would try and find somewhere in or around Dulverton.

It's a lovely village, Exmoor National Park HQ is there, there are lots of walks and one of the best pubs for both food and real ale (Woods) in Somerset is in the village. Most other villages will have very few shops and Dulverton itself isn't exactly over endowed with them but Tiverton isn't too far away.

Alternatively you could try either Exford or Simonsbath.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Hi Elaine

I should have mentioned in my previous post that it might be worth posting this on the "Somerset" forum as well as a lot of the park lies in Somerset.

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

You could try the Royal Oak, at Luxborough.

http://www.theroyaloakinnluxborough.co.uk/

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Let me emphatically endorse the suggestion above for the Royal Oak in Luxborough.

However it is remote and not within walking distance of shops and other restaurants.

If you need a larger village (with choice of pubs)

Dulverton - several good pubs and restaurants, some of them upscale.

Exford - at least two good pubs

Porlock - at least one good pub, and walking distance to Porlock Weir. Each one has a pub called The Ship that is worth checking out. I don't think much of the othe pubs around there. Also has shops and restaurants. But all in all a bit more downscale.

Get the two sided OS 1:50:000 and lots of great walks.

Once you choose a place post back here and I can suggest walks that lead other real ale pubs.

The most common local ales btw are from Cotleigh and Exmoor breweries. Both located in Wiveliscombe. You can bet your Butcombe you will like them.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

?The Crown at Exford fits the bill - my wife and I have stayed their several times.

Smack in the centre of Exmoor, Dunkery Beacon is walkable, and the food (bar and restaurant) is top notch.

They have a book of walks from Exford, think it costs £1, including a good one to Withypool which involves spending lunchtime in the Royal Oak (OK, that bit is optional).

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Hi Elaine, congratulations first of all.

We have a small holiday home on the edge of Exmoor and I can recommed all of the above, as a diner / drinker at each of these!

My suggestion for location is Dunster - beautiful village just into Exmoor so you get the joys of Exmoor and West Somerset. The Luttrell Arms is probably the best of the inns there.

www.luttrellarms.co.uk

Good luck!

Cath

Bristol
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay that sells Real Ales...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. We decided to go with the Village Inn in the end, it has great reviews and was within our price range.

Cheers

Elaine :)

Get answers to your questions about Exmoor National Park