We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Hi,

My husband, my daughter and I are camping in Cloud Farm near Lynmouth. I would like to know if anyone else has been here, and what they have liked and disliked, and what places they visited.

We have heard lovely things about this campsite, is it really that nice?

Thanks, Rockpipit

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

My brother and his young family stayed here at Easter. They were not that keen, as the toilets were not well kept and there was a lot of rowdy guests. However, it is in a beautiful location.

You have Lynton and Lynmouth nearby, as well as the glorious Doone Valley and famous Porlock Hill. If you like historic properties try Arlington Court (National Trust), which also has a carriage museum. There are lovely walks at Contisbury hill and Woody Bay, too.

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Thanks, Riotstar. I've heard of Woody Bay and Contisbury Hill, and also we are a National trust member so will probably visit Arlington Court as well.

Apparently the farm has been taken over by new owners, I think they have recently 'updated' the toilet and shower block.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Hopefully so! Enjoy your visit, it is a beautiful part of the county.

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Rockpipit - did the campsite live up to your expectations? Stayed there a few years ago and found it a bit cramped and crowded. Would be interested to find out if the new owners have made any improvements. The Doone Valley is very beautiful and one of our favourite places (we have been visiting it for 30 + years). One thing to be aware of - for anyone thinking of booking the campsite for the future and wanting to take a dog (or two) - our dog was infested with ticks when we got home, involving a visit to the vet (we gave up counting after the first 20 or so...) We were camping in an area where there was quite a lot of bracken (some of us humans had ticks on us too..) so 'Frontline' would be a must for any future visits!.

worcestershire
Level Contributor
89 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

hi there.

Nice part of the country .... is it any good for caravans and motorhomes.

ie .. is it reasonably level with good access.

As campervans (which we hire from ybuymotorhomehire) have excellent kitchen and shower room facilities we do not need to use the campsite toilets.

Cheers

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Hi horseymum,

We actually arrived at this campsite, and saw no where to pitch by the river. It looked ever so busy and the long drive to get out of the campsite would have done our head in so actually decided to go to the other campsite down the road, which was much nicer, and cheaper.

Rockpipit

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Thanks so much Rockpipit - can you remember the name of the campsite? I'm sure I read up about one which is owned by an elderly lady who visits every day on her quad bike!! - is it that one?

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

Hi WorcestershireJoe - as far as I can recall, it is possible to park a caravan or campervan at Cloud Farm, there is a field which is fairly flat before the camping field which usually had caravans and campervans on it. However, the roads to the site are very narrow and winding (although, amazingly, coaches do use it)

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

The name of the campsite was Lorna Doone Campsite, or Doone Valley Camping. A lady ( the owner ) does ride around on that thing every day selling logs and kindling to the campers.

What made us laugh, is on the Cloud Farm website, it shows pictures of a shop, cafe and a bridge over the river. This was actually owned by Lorna Doone Campsite, so it was like stealing their pictures!

10. Re: Camping in Cloud Farm, Exmoor nr Lynmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2011, 07:31
Get answers to your questions about Exmoor National Park