We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to go walking/hiking in Exmoor in either late July or mid-August for a few days. Coming from London by train, I'm trying to figure where best to arrive/timings and where to go from there. I would prefer to walk from a starting point to a destination, staying somewhere (preferably an Inn, to sample the local ale!) mid journey. Ideally I'd get to see some of the moors and woodlands as well as some of the spectacular coastline. Maybe one day each? One idea I had would be to start in Exford (maybe arrive the night before?), one day hike to Porlock, stay there overnight, and then follow the coastal trail to either Minehead or Lynton?

I'm a capable hiker, but would like to have enough time to really take in the scenery as well.

Any suggestions welcome and much appreciated

Geert

10 replies to this topic
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Exford - Porlock - Lynton is a great plan. Crossing the great Dunkery Beacon alone is worth the effort, as is the stunning coastal landscape between Porlock Weir and Lynmouth/Lynton.

Can recommend the YHA in Exford.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Agree that Exford-Porlock-Lynton would give you something of everything. Culbone woods, west of Porlock Weir are magical, before giving way to wonderful coastal scenery. But Porlock to Mine head also has it's merits, taking in Selworthy Beacon.

Only problem may be accommodation as you are aiming for peak season.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,387 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

There are so many walks on Exmoor as short or long as you like, the area is just full of footpaths and trails. Likewise the real ale flows in most places. Westcountry ales as we tend to change them. The variety of flavour is staggering - sometimes you too if you don't check the alchohol content which can be high ;-)

Your idea is a good one. Exford has a couple of pubs, both good for real ale and food.

http://crownhotelexmoor.co.uk/bar.php & http://www.exmoor-whitehorse.co.uk/

Porlock has 3 inns. The Ship (known as the top Ship because there is another at Porlock Weir)

www.shipinnporlock.co.uk/food_and_drink.php

The Royal Oak which doesn't have a website but is on TA and what used to be the Castle and is now a Millers, one of a chain. millersuk.com/bistro/…93.html

Although you may be going back on yourself by dropping down into Porlock and then going to Lynmouth there is spectacular scenery. You could catch the open top vintage bus to County Gate and walk from there. The coastal walk, part of the SW Coast Path is wonderful but then too so is the walk from there down into the valley and along to Watersmeet. Have tea at the cafe in the woods (I drink the water from the river) and then onwards to Lynmouth. The bus returns to Porlock or Minehead.

If that section isn't long enough you can add a walk to the Valley of the Rocks or **** I have to look up the name.

You don't need to stay at the pubs, there is a lot of accommodation around but because of the time of year I would suggest booking ahead.

How are you getting to Exford if you are doing one way walks? It's not the easiest. Very few buses. Returning you can get a bus to a more central point and raliway either from Lynton or Porlock Minehead. Though it won't be quick it will be scenic.

There is the Moor Rover http://www.atwest.org.uk/moor_rover.html and another that transfers luggage.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 20:18
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,387 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

*** not enough time to edit. There are walks from Lynton along the coast. Not long ones but the one I can't find is going up by the little cinema (shows latest releases with Dolby surround sound for £5 and you need to book in advance in school hols) and winds to the top of - another - hill. There are supposed to be good views but I was too tired to make it.

YOu won't find many visitors walking the routes at that time of year as school hols means cars.The accommodation may be busy but really it is May - June and September because the areas you are touching on cater more for the visitors without children.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I'm still struggling a bit with establishing arrival times by train and onward bus journeys. I could take a train from London that arrives in Tiverton at 11.06, then catch the bus to Wheddon Cross, arriving at 14.04. But would that give me enough time to walk to Porlock before nightfall? Also, should I walk on to Lynton the next day, how long would that take, possibly with a detour via Watersmeet. My problem with that route is that the return journey via Barnstaple to London takes very long (4.5h). Alternatively I was thinking of basing myself in Porlock and doing circular walks instead?

Sorry, many questions. All help appreciated

G

england
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

can I just point out that in school hols you may find Exmoor has quite a few Duke of Edinburgh expedition groups. School groups mostly go at the end of school terms but other groups do school holidays. I'd ask my DofE expert for their route but they're working tomorrow so in bed.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,387 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Could you walk to Porlock by nightfall? Depends on which route and how fast. No I don't think so and it wouldn't be much fun. It's a heck of a long way with Dunkery being the highest point and a long way down to Porlock. I think you would worry about getting there more than enjoying the surroundings which would be a shame as they are beautiful and varied.

Basing youself in Porlock would be better. The journey there easier. Train London to Taunton. Bus to Minehead get off at the sea front, cross the road for the bus to Porlock. The bus journey is a pretty one travelling through the rural part of the park.

This bus picks up at the station but goes through more villages

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…2028.pdf

This one is quicker Webberbus 18 and it's a new service so I'm not sure where it stops at the station. YOu need ot ring and ask.

webberbus.com/index.php/…

Or there is the steam train.......you need a bus to Bishops Lydeard Station. Great views but expensiveish.

When you get to Minehead it's the 300 or 39 (39 is more comfortable)

heritagebus.co.uk/wp-content/…39.300.pdf

You could be in Porlock about the same time. That would give you time to walk to Porlock Weir, good pint of ale by the beach and best fish and chips/Malaysian/Chinese. You could walk over to Horner water and up the river, loads of tracks there to choose from and Porlock has lots of walks in the area. Out to Culbone church, the smallest in England, hidden in a coastal valley and up onto the moor then down a different route.

I don't know anyone who has walked to Lynton but they must as it is part of the South West Way. The thought of walking up Porlock Hill is daunting. Maybe there is another way

http://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/

There is a distance calculator on here, it says 12 miles. What they don't say is that its some of the steepest hills in England! OK once you are up. I think you go via Culbone so it would be long and gradual. It would take all day but must be one of the most beautiful with, wooded valleys, heather out on the moor and coastal views. The wild Exmoor ponies have late foals, you will see birds of prey, hear skylarks and more.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 23:08
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

I know this is a very old thread but it is full of useful info so worth reviving. Just wanted to add that I once walked from Lynmouth to Porlock (actually all the way to Horner, where we were camping) - in total about 14 miles & one of the best if toughest walks I ever did. The coast path is glorious but as mooted above there are some serious ups & downs. You don't walk Porlock Hill, but through Culbone Woods. I do recall it was a long climb out of Lynmouth & a real slog up to County Gate, but it was so worth it!!

Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Same question revived but coming by car so would prefer a 3 day triangular walk ending at the start point. Is this doable?

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,387 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?

Perfectly doable Allan. The choices are endless.

Are you going to b&b it on the way around the walk or camp?

What are your comfortable distances?

What sort of terrain would you like?

Any interests along the way?

Where will you be coming from and when?

Reply to: 2-3day walking route suggestions in Exmoor?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Exmoor National Park