We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent pubs in Lynton

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Decent pubs in Lynton

I am specifically asking about Lynton, not Lynmouth, here. If we're out and about all day I like to have a couple of drinks afterwards without having to worry about driving. That means it will need to by in Lynton because when we go, late September, the cliff railway shuts at 6pm and I have no plans to walk up from Lynmouth!!

I'm simply looking for a nice pub with decent beer, food an advantage but not an essential. All suggesting gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
17 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

Keitht, ah crumbs - scooters drive me bananas, too! Shame there is such an issue with kids up there and glad you enjoyed much of your stay.

Lynton
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

As a resident of Lynton I felt I should address some of the issues raised in earlier posts.

Firstly with regard to children playing outside in the evening, children around the country always used to play in the street and no one batted an eyelid. This rarely happens now, but the fact that it still does here is a reflection of just how safe an environment the village is. Moreover, Lynton kids are far less likely to misbehave than those elsewhere because it's a small community; someone would be bound to tell their parents!

We are lucky to have 3 pubs in the village. Unusually they all experienced personnel changes (Landlord, Chef, or both) around August and September time, when this thread and earlier posts were published . Come back next year and I'm sure there will be somewhere to suit.

If a pub environment is not what you are looking for, I suggest trying one of the restaurants; I'm always happy to visit The Vanilla Pod and The Oak Room, which have both been consistently good this year in my experience.

Those that wish to visit the pubs in Lynmouth without walking back up to Lynton will find investing £3.50 in a taxi fare is a good option. Guest Houses, pubs and restaurants will have details of local taxi companies.

Finally, next year Lynton visitors and residents alike will have the additional choice of drinking and dining at The Bridge Inn, when new owners take over. The new owners are experienced publicans and will be reopening The Bridge Inn in mid March 2012.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 15:40
Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

I have absolutely no problem with children playing outside. It's generally far better for them than being stuck in front of the TV or games console. Regrettably this doesn't alter our experience in Lynton. It was undoubtedly a small proportion of the children from the area, but those few were an absolute menace to traffic and pedestrians alike. As mentioned before these weren't bored teens, I would be amazed if any of them were above primary school age.

Despite this one area of concern, we loved Lynton & Lynmouth and will certainly be returning at some stage.

Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
Lynton
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

Delighted to learn that you'll be returning to our lovely villages at some time. I do hope you found my other information useful. Wishing you all the best.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

Thanks Carol. Yes I did find the information useful. The changes in staffing / management at the various pubs could certainly explain the way they varied from the previous experience of other contributors.

shropshire
Level Contributor
1 post
172 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

I bring good news. The kids no longer terrorise Lynton. The Crown has good beer and what looked like fine food. The Queens is dreary and the beer could be better

Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Decent pubs in Lynton

We've just got back from Lynton, my wife and I stayed at the Crown hotel which i would say is the best place in either Lynton or Lynmouth for food and drin

Hope you enjoy yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Lynton
Lynton
Exmoor National Park, UK
Reply to: Decent pubs in Lynton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted