We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

Which Lynton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

Hi, I'm visiting Lynton later this year with my family - inc. kids of 14 and 12., as part of a tour of Devon/Cornwall. I'm looking for tips on recommended restaurants/places to eat of an evening (happy to consider any in Lynmouth or other places nearby if it's worth the car journey); decent pubs that wouldn't mind the (well-behaved) kids; and anything worth sight-seeing doing during the days. All help gratefully received! John L

8 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,996 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

The cliff railway www.cliffrailwaylynton.co.uk make sure you take your camera, the views are spectacular.

the entrance to the river has an interesting museum with great jets of water that might interest a young boy.

Boat trips along the coast

visitlynton.co.uk/attractions/lynmouth-boat-…

Open top bus across the moors runs from the big car park quantockmotorservices.co.uk/scheduled-servic…

Wildlife & Dinosaur Park at Combe Martin has parrots flying free, a wolf pack often with cubs, snow leopards as well as lots of others, it's not just for young children its great fun.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 22:25
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,996 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

Oh and if you are interested in wildlife http://redstagsafari.co.uk/ These safaris opperate over Exmoor. The ponies are unique to the moor and should have foals with them in the summer.

A great, tiny little cinema with some of the latest films - you would need to book because it is very popular

A walk along the coast path from Lynton to the valley of the rocks or look up the Exmoor National Park list of whats on as they do lots of things every week through the summer.

It is also a designated Dark Skies area and if you go onto the moor at night there is a spectacular display of stars. I think there are some guided trips where you can do this with someone who can tell you about them.

exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/environment/lands…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

For food or a quiet drink the Rising Sun in Lynmouth itself is nice, as is the Hunter's Inn at Heddon's Mouth (about 15 mins drive from Lynton/Lynmouth). The Black Venus is very popular locally but I personally didn't like it very much on the occasion we visited to eat.

For sights Sue has given you many good ideas - I adore the cinema at Lynton, it is like stepping back in time! www.lyntoncinema.co.uk

You also have Exmoor Zoo nearby, which my friend visited at the weekend and said was really excellent:

http://www.exmoorzoo.co.uk/

Watersmeet and Heddon's Mouth both provide lovely walks (and the one to Heddon in particular is not too strenuous unless you head up the cliffs!)

A visit to Arlington Court and the attached carriage museum is also recommended:

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/arlington-court/

There are some more links for activities around the twin villages here, too:

lynton-lynmouth-tourism.co.uk/what_to_do.php

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - really helpful! Does anyone know anything of either Le Bistro in Lynmouth or The Oak Room in Lynton? John L

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

Sorry John but I've not eaten myself at either place; colleagues have recommended the Oak Room before but I cannot help from personal experience.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,996 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

jonlo, they are both well reviewed on TA. Put the name into the search box at the top of the page.

Remember to read a few as people have different points of view and some have an agenda...but most seem to agree on these two.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

All - many thanks for the advice. Looking forward to trying some of your recommendations later in the year! John L

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,996 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton

jonlo, If there is a film on in the little Lynton Cinema I would recommend going. It is a beautiful, spotless small cinema with plenty of 'elbow' room around the seats. http://www.lyntoncinema.co.uk/ will tell you what's on with reviews & trailers.

All the latest releases. You need to book usually as it can get full Spring through to Autumn sometimes.

Also if you are interested, drive up to the moor at night, it was the 2nd place in the world to be awarded the 'Dark Skies' designation. The sky is clear and wonderful sight of all the stars & planets.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 23:11
Reply to: Advice on 3 days/nights in Lynton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted