We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at the scenic spots along the 21 Mile drive

London, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at the scenic spots along the 21 Mile drive

We plan to visit Lynton Lynmouth and do the 21 mile drive, I wanted to ask you about parking at the varous scenic spots along the 21 mile drive like lee bay and valley of rocks, so that we can take a short walk around. Is this expensive? also can we get an all day parking ticket and use it at all the pitstops/scenic ocations along this route? Would welcome advice and suggestions please.

many thanks

2 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at the scenic spots along the 21 Mile drive

Suraj - it depends on the time of year.

There is not an over all ticket.

Lynton & Lynmouth have a lot of parking depending on how long you are there. On street for 1/2 to 1 hr usually you need to get there early to nab a spot. I would suggest Lynmouth in the main car park at the bottom of the hill and take the cliff railway to Lynton - a bit of fun and fabulous views. The charges are on the Council website.

Which Lee Bay, there are two? The one near Valley of the Rocks also has more than one car park or you could park at the Valley and walk.

Woody Bay is cheap if not free still but there is not much there unless you plan to walk the cliff path. Hunters inn is going to be charged as it is National Trust, the pub is expensive as that is all that is there.

I looked up the 21 mile drive (which is new to me) and personally think it is a bit 'made up' but not bad. There are better places to see. I would go Lynton/Lynmouth, Watersmeet, drive over the moors, which has fabulous views of coast & moor, to Minehead, see Dunster and make your way to Tarr Steps. This would give you much more of interest to see. Maybe next time :-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at the scenic spots along the 21 Mile drive

As Sue quite rightly says it will depend on what time of year you are in the Lynton/Lynmouth area - I have been to Heddon's Mouth in the winter months (for example Jan. this year) and we were the only people in the NT car park but in the summer it is teeming with people. The same is true of Lynton and Lynmouth themselves.

I personally love walking to Heddon's Mouth and then going up the side of the cliffs on the footpath to see it from above and wander towards Woody Bay.

There are also good spots to park - for free - above Lynmouth on Contisbury hill with lovely cliff top walks or opposite with views over 'Doone Valley' before you get to Porlock. You can also park for free (if you get one of the spaces!) in Lynmouth; the flood museum is worth a visit.

Parking at Watersmeet can be impossible, but again over winter it is usually fairly quiet. Lee Bay is a good place to park and pretty for a walk.

I don't think you can get a day ticket, no, because most of the car parks are NT and some are Council.

Reply to: Parking at the scenic spots along the 21 Mile drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now