We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Lynton

Which Lynton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Lynton

My husband & I, along with our 1 year old son, are staying in Lynton for a week & looking for some ideas of what to do. At the moment we are thinking of walks to Valley of the Rocks & Watersmeet, Exmoor zoo & beach at Croyde. Has anyone got any suggestions of what else would be good to do or any other towns/villages that are worth a visit? Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Lynton

Those are really good choices Welshbeccah. The only one I would query is Croyde unless you know it so have chosen it for a reason. Myself with a tot would look at Lee Bay at the end of the Valley of Rocks or Combe Martin for the sand, rock pools and gently sloping beach and safe sea.

You might want to drive up onto the moors via Countisbury where you can see the Exmoor Ponies. Being late in the season it would be an easy drive to Porlock and on to Bossington or Selworthy with some lovely walks in the area and excellent home cooked food/cakes. Allerford nearby has a little museum with a school room & a working forge.

Illfracombe is nice for a morning stroll with a large grassy area where your son can play. There is a small aquarium with fish from the channel, some in a huge tank that you can look into that a boy would enjoy. Trips round the bay too. There is a fish restuarant on the harbour.

The same with Lynmouth and the ride up/down on the cliff railway. Not sure about the little cinema as your son is too young to enjoy and the surround sound loud.

There is Tarr Steps if the weather holds up. Lovely area for gentle walks and tea. Lots of space again for a little one

Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Lynton

Thanks so much for all those ideas. They sound really good - just hoping the weather holds out! We'd only thought of going to Croyde because someone recommended it, but sounds like Combe Martin would be better.

uk
Level Contributor
252 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Lynton

Croyde is a far better beach that Combe Martin, it's clean sea with a nice beach great for body boarding, Combe Martin sea can look dirty but a little beach so if your not bothered about the sea the it may be more suitable for a 1 year old. Also woolacombe beach.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Lynton

Woolacombe is my favourite beach but as a surfer/dog owner. For a tiny tot Combe Martin or Lee Bay would give them the sand to play on and a safe shallow water. Also they are confined by rocks on either side so you can't loose anyone :-)

As a child Combe Martin was my favourite because it was safe and free to run about, couldn't loose my parents and you won't have to concentrate quite so hard to keep an eye. Also more chance of shelter from the (hopefully) hot sun as there is shade whereas Woolacombe and Croyde are open streatches.

I just find it much easier with children. Also cheaper to park. Lee Bay is lovely but more in the way of small stone and seaweed.

Anyway they are close by. You could always pop down after your visit to the Wildlife Park and have a look. Same with Valley of the Rocks & Lee Bay. See what you think. Ilfracombe has a small easy beach too. Should be just about right crowd wise at this end of the season.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Lynton

Croyde is a lovely beach but please be aware of the rip tides if your little one wants to go in the sea. It is very safe near the edge but can be dangerous further out (hence the large numbers of life guards).

My nieces & nephews used to love the Big Sheep at Abbotsham (nr Bideford) as well as the suggestions Sue has made.

Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week in Lynton

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions :-)

If we only go to one of either Exmoor zoo or the Wildlife & Dinosaur Park, which would you recommend? Or are they both quite different?

Also, are there any child friendly places to eat you would recommend?

Thanks

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Week in Lynton

I'd go to the Wildlife & Dino Pk. Great value for money and entertaining for adults as well. Lots to do.

So many places to eat I think you may be spoiled for choice. You would probably have to go down to Lynmouth if you are eating in the evening. Being the very end of the season it will depend on which are open too. Why not look at the reviews and select which seems appropriate to take the baby into. For instance not sure the Tapas place would be best for baby by the nature of the meals. Though it is good if he's asleep ;-)

Shame the restaurant reviews don't have the same selection for 'couples' Family' Solo etc that accommodation does.

To get a selection it may be a good idea to email the Information Centre who should have opening times and know which would suit a little one http://www.lynton-lynmouth-tourism.co.uk/

Edited: 10 September 2013, 23:09
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Week in Lynton

Take the local bus or drive to Barnstaple or Bidiford. Both nice towns.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Week in Lynton

The post is over a year old so I would guess the lady has been and gone by now David.

Reply to: Week in Lynton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted