We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tregonwell

Berkshire
1 post
Save Topic
Tregonwell

Having just returned from an unsatisfactory stay, we have the following comments:-

The total charge for our stay was debited from our credit card immediately on booking, without our knowledge or permission.

Their advertising states that they were “B and B of the Year 2004”. There are two certificates on display stating that “The Old Sea Captain’s House” was judged “Highly Commended” in 2004. Not quite the same thing!

The “garage parking” on their advertisement turned out to be 3 spaces for around 8 bedrooms.

The information displayed on our bedroom door stated that if the room was not vacated by 10.00 am on the morning of our departure, we would be charged for another day’s stay.

There are many B & Bs in the area and we suggest you try one of the others.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tregonwell

Hi there

As someone who regularly travels to Devon and Cornwall for business and always ues B & B's, I'd be inclined to report them to the local trading standards and chamber of commerce. Bear in mind also that these B & B's have to comply to certain criteria in order to be rated at various levels. My first action would be to put your complaint in writing to the landlady stating your grievances and giving her say, two weeks to reply. If you hear nothing back, or she replies with a load of rubbish, write a second letter telling her that you will have no hesitation in complaining about her to the above mentioned bodies.

I've only ever had to take that route twice in over 20 years of staying in B & B's and believe me, it works.

Sounds like your landlady was taking the p***. It's places like this that still give the B & B industry a bad name.

Mentioned in this post
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tregonwell

I assume you have seen the other review from October 2005?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tregonwell

I've stayed there on about 3 occasions I think, we used to use it for a motorbike event every June

We used it because of the garage and our organiser managed to get a good block-booked deal. But I have to say I'm not entirely surprised by this review or the other forum post on these lines

The owner is a bit odd, the rooms a bit ropey and the garage miles too small for cars (didn't bother us)

I can't comment on the money thing cos James always organised that but he (the owner) did always seem to be a bit "grabby"

London
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Tregonwell

Try Valley House, its fanastic.

The hospitaility, food, rooms and views make it, in my opinion, the best B&B in Lynton or Lynmouth.

Mentioned in this post
Lynmouth
Lynmouth
Exmoor National Park, UK
Lynton
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tregonwell

It is unfortuanate that many of these comments are true. It does give Lynmouth a bad reputation that may spill up and over in to Lynton.

However, don't judge the area by a bad egg, there are plenty of establishments which will provide first class treatment and make your stay in Exmoor enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Lynmouth
Lynmouth
Exmoor National Park, UK
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tregonwell

My wife and I have just returned from staying at this place. We won't be going back. I was sucked in by the best B & B award too.

Our room had an Ancient Egypt themed fireplace, a inca statue and a cheap toilet holder in the bathroom and the rest of it was gaudy. Our room was clean enough though.

I got the feeling the guy was a penny pincher. No free shampoo or shower gel and a box of cornflakes or muesli for cereal.

There are probably better b & b's. At £60 a night it was a total rip off.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tregonwell

My wife and I have just returned from staying at this place. We won't be going back. I was sucked in by the best B & B award too.

Our room had an Ancient Egypt themed fireplace, a inca statue and a cheap toilet holder in the bathroom and the rest of it was gaudy. Our room was clean enough though.

I got the feeling the guy was a penny pincher. No free shampoo or shower gel and a box of cornflakes or muesli for cereal.

There are probably better b & b's. At £60 a night it was a total rip off.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tregonwell

Obviously this is a paid listing like many many and the award means little.

The only listings worth their salt are independent unbiased publications such as the Good Hotel Guide, Which? Guide To Good Hotels, Fodors, Frommers, Footprint England, Rough Guides and Trip Advisor of course.

Most of the others are paid lisitings - Les Routiers, Bed & Breakfast Directory, Best Bed & Breakfast, Alastair Sawday's Special Places To Stay, Johansens, Ashley Courtenay etc. etc., even the AA and Visit Britain are indirectly paid for as only inspected listings are accepted and they of course charge for the inspection, which really all amounts to the same thing.

So complain to 'Discover Bed & Breakfast' who gave the award of 'England's B&B of the Year 2004'

'Discover Bed & Breakfast' is published by

'Discover Travel and Tours'

International House

Pierpoint Street

Worcester WR1 1YD

admin@discovertravelandtours.com

www.discovertravelandtours.com

0870 290 1010

Apparently Discover Travel & Tours International Ltd is recognised by the British Tourist Board and is a member of the British Incoming Tour Operators Association, so also complain to 'Visit Britain' (former English Torism Council/British Tourist Board) who gave Tregonwell their 3 Diamonds grading and while you are at it complain about their own recognition 'Discover Bed & Breakfast' .

Visit Britain

Thames Tower

Blacks Road

London W6 9EL

enjoyenglandenquiries@visitbritain.org

www.visitbritain.com

Tel: 0208 846 9000

Kent
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tregonwell

I had a very similar experience to you on nov 13th this year. We chose to pay extra to stay in the "olde sea captain's room". It cost a total of £70 per night for two. We decided it was so smelly and unpleasant that we could not stay there. I went to see Mr Parker and was going to offer to pay for one night so as not to inconvenience him. he said that he only stayed open for us and had taken the £350 for the five nights we had booked for. i did not want to start the holiday with an argument so we just walked away, despite not being really able to afford losing £350, our holidays are too precious to stay somewhere like that. Tis place is advertised on boards in lynton and lynmouth, but is not registered with the tourist board as far as I can see. I to was impressed at first by this seemingly bogus "best b and b in England 2004". Please let me know if you got any joy with getting a refund.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tregonwell

Unless I have missed it, none of the people posting here left a review of this B&B in the review section, which seems a pity, since comments here are transient but reviews stay.