We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Devon, where to go?

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Devon, where to go?

Hi guys

I'll be moving to Devon for work in the next couple of months. I'll be based near Derriford Hospital but don't want to live in Plymouth itself. I'm happy to commute for 45 mins or so, but I have no idea how that translates to Devon roads. Can someone give me an idea of how far a 45 min commute takes you in each direction (I've used a routeplanner,but I'd rather a local who actually knows the roads told me what they thought). e.g. Okehampton is supposed to be 45 mins according to multimap... but is it really?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Although I am no expert, at Peak time I would have thought that Okehampton-Derriford would take almost 1 hour.

Have you tried Tavistock / Ivybridge / Callington / Saltash (or possibly even Liskeard)

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Thanks, have been looking at Tavistock and Callington , although my wife may need to get over the psychological barrier of being in Cornwall (Callington) rather than Devon (it sounds even further away). I thought Okehampton might be a bit far, am commuting an hour now, would very much like to reduce it.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
393 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

I certainly wouldn't recommend Okehampton. Grey and always raining!

Tavistock is lovely although considerably more expensive. Also consider Ashburton as the surrounding countryside is wonderful.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Tavistock is nice and north of Plymouth.

Some other nice towns on the A38 - Ashburton and Buckfastleigh, and if you are looking for something quiet there are some lovely villages off of these towns (Widecombe, Bovey Tracey, Liverton) to name a few but because they are in the Dartmoor national park they will be pricey - but lovely though!

Kingsbridge, Modbury on the south devon coast - just within your 45 minute commute.

Torpoint, Saltash, Landrake, Tideford - over the bridge but nice villages within easy reach.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

I would say Saltash is a good idea. Although in Cornwall you can be just a stones throw from Plymouth across the river. Many people I know have moved there for the reason it is still fairly laid back, but easy access to Plymouth. Yes, you may have traffic if you travel at peak time, but you will this anywhere.

Or why not live in Plymouth ? Some very nice areas on north side of city where Derriford Hospital located.

Eggbuckland, Derriford, Crownhill, Compton (Higher or Lower), & Loosleigh amongst others are quite pleasant areas to live, and easy access to Derriford Hospital.

I was brought up in Eggbuckland. Still has a small village feel, but in middle of the city. Expanding, but some nice places to live. Ideal for young couple of families especially.

If you want somewhere really special (but little more travelling), try some of village in South Hams - directly east of Plymouth.

Can be anything from 30mins upwards, depending on where & the time of day to travel.

If you need more info, please feel free to ask.

Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

TBH Bovey Tracey is too far away from Derriford.

Ivybridge or Salthash defintely. Both are nice places, both have a little train station that runs right into Plymouth and both have shops to buy food etc.

I live in Chudleigh on the A38, it takes about an hour and a half by car to get to Plymouth, so for me defintely Saltash or Ivybridge.

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Why not look at Ipplepen - large lively village - good school, couple of pubs, two churches, nearby garden centre, post office and co-op which is open 8am to 10 pm, cricket, football teams, tennis club and lots of orther organizations. About 40 mins from Plymouth but very handy as well for Exeter, Torbay, Newton Abbot, Totnes

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Thank you all for the ideas. I didn't realise Chudleigh took so long, glad you said that. Am now concentrating on the Tavistock and Ivybridge areas, and surrounding vilages.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Assuming no traffic hold ups or road works, you could just about live on the West of Exeter and get to Plymouth within your commuting time. Unfortunately, the A38 is somewhat prone to both heavy traffic and road works.

I live in Exmouth and my brother lives near Plymouth Airport and I have done that journey in less than an hour. It certainly wouldn't take 1½ hours from Chudleigh to Plymouth. Again, I have driven from Exeter to Devenport Docks in about an hour and Derriford is easier to get to than the docks.

If you don't want to live in Plymouth itself, there are always two pleasant suburbs to choose from as well - Plymstock and Plympton.

I would say anywhere up the A38 as far as Ashburton was safe. If you do look at Corrnwall, don't forget it costs a pound every time you cross the Tamar bridge from Cornwall to Devon.

Ivybridge, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Devon, where to go?

Hi DrMatt

I live in Ivybridge - just moved there in March. Moved to have a reasonable sized house and the prospect of good schools for my three year old daughter. Has a range of little shops with an excellent local butchers/deli although the village could do with a bit of life. River running through the centre with ducks etc ... leisure centre with pool/gym/hall. Own fire station and police. Takes 15-20 mins to Plymouth - 25 for Derriford.

Some great pubs for eating out - recommend Imperial (beer garden too with toys for the kids)

For local based estate agents try

www.connells.co.uk

www.maitlands.biz

Hope this helps - welcome to the area.

Carmen