We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

Which Plymouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

My daughter is working in Plymouth at the beginning of 2013. My wife and I are going to visit for a long weekend at the end of January.

We have always wanted to visit Devon but never considered any time other than summer. Would love to hear a few of your suggestions of places to visit, things to do, restaurant, cafe or coffee shops to stop at (please bare in mind that we are on a budget)

We will be arriving via Bristol airport and will hire a car. Would be good to have a look around Devon with a view to coming back in summer / spring. Have heard that Paignton is nice? Would there be anywhere we should stop of on our way to or from Bristol for a quick look? Are there nice drives and villages around Dartmoor

Looking forward to your suggestion and thanks in advance!

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

Dartmoor scenery is wonderful - bleak in January, but bleak can be spectacular in its own way. If you have time, take the road through the middle (B3212) from Mortonhampstead to Yelverton. For really good pub food with large, well cooked meals at reasonable price, try the Prince of Wales pub in Princetown, near the middle of Dartmoor. Warning - Their mixed grill will feed two people with normal appetites! See here:

…geocaching.com/cache/log/241ba22b-3af2-44f5…

Alternatively, the Fox Tor cafe in Princetown is also very good:

http://www.foxtorcafe.com/#/cafe/4546329756

If the weather's really poor you might like to visit The House of Marbles at Bovey Tracey (between Mortonhampstead and Newton Abbot. It's great for all things made of glass and has a very nice cafe/restaurant. More details here:

houseofmarbles.com/the-house-of-marbles-at-b…

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

If it's a nice day in Plymouth, head to "The China House" for an early lunch. The food and beer are standard fare but the building - and in particular the location - are worth the visit alone : there's a lovely view of The Barbican with the sun glinting off the water that almost surrounds you.

From there, the National Aquarium is nearby and worth a visit. In The Barbican itself you should pop into "The Dolphin" which used to be Beryl Cook's local, and still contains the sort of characters she used to paint. There's also some interesting shops, the Plymouth Gin distillery and a very good sit down fish and chip place, the name of which will return to me shortly.

From there, head east. Stop in Modbury - a pleasant small town - to pick up any provisions you may need.

South East from there, down some classic Devon lanes. The view from Bigbury on Sea towards Burgh Island will be instantly recognisable to any Agatha Christie fan. Take a bracing walk across the sand (or the sea tractor if the tide is in) to see the Art Deco hotel, and pop into "The Pilchard", a classic seaside pub.

Mike

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

Have posted under your separate Devon entry. For sake of clarity might be best in future to not post multiple requests on same topic, as chances are people only see one of these and repeat what others have already written elsewhere.

Save Reply
4. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

Visit the Artillery Tower for lunch an dinner on their 3-courses for £20 deal running until the end of January, you will not be disappointed!!

N Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

I have got a much better idea of what to do. Now just hoping that it do not snow and weather is fine, but if it does, I guess I will just have to look at more indoor venues.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

Thank you all for your help.

Had a great time - even in the middle of a major cold spell. Enjoyed Dartmoor and Brixham was nice. Also enjoyed Looe and Polperro was amazing. Country side was very pretty and people friendly! Stopped of at Exeter on the way back to the airport and was very impressed.

7. Re: Plymouth and Devon at the end of January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 05:17