We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torquay hotel or B&B help !

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Torquay hotel or B&B help !

Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay next to the water. Or maybe just 1 block away.My father said it gets noisy at night with all the pubs near the water is that true.

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
for Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, English Riviera, Exeter
Level Contributor
352 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

Hey,

There are not many hotels right on the water by the harbour (which is where the pubs are)

However i can recommend the Haytor Hotel www.haytorhotel.com it is only a couple of minutes walk to the harbour from there and about 10 minutes walk to a lovely beach called Meadfoot Beach.

Another option is Meadfoot Bay Hotel www.meadfoot.com It is closer to the beach (150metres) but further from the town (10 to 15 minutes walk)

I hope this helps

Tracey

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

Hi CaliforniaLosthiker

Is there any reason why it has to be Torquay?

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

My parents stayed in Torquay last year. They said it's a wonderful place to visit. What would you recommend for my first time there. I enjoy walking and all kinds of english food and music. I really like pubs with outdoor beer gardens. I will not be renting a car and hows the weather in September. : )

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

I don't wish to put you off of Torquay, but as an American visiting Devon, you may like to check out Dartmouth. It really is quite special and very picturesque. There are some excellent hotels, b & b's and restaurants catering for all pockets. There are some lovely hotels, some overlooking the harbour. Browns Hotel springs to mind but I have never stayed there.

As for walking/hilking - Dartmoor National Park is within easy reach and you can join organised walks, however without a car you may want to contact the www.discoverdartmouth.com who should be able to advise.

September can be lovely and usually less crowded. Devon weather can be wet at any time of the year, so bring a waterproof that you can roll up. If you can get to Widecombe on Dartmoor there is an annual fair on Sept 11th.

If you like Agatha Christie, there is a week dedicated to her 10th to 16th Sept but events relating to this would be in Torquay where she was born.

Dartmouth Royal Regatta is 30th Aug to 1st Sept. There is also nine days of art 8th to 16th Sept.

Enjoy yoursleves.

5. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2007, 21:25
Stoke
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

Have to agree with guy above. Dartmouth is beautiful and very close to Torquay. Lots of lovely B&B's and is far more unspoilt and less commercial than Torquay, which for me has more than a whiff of 'chav' about it.

If you have to stay in Torquay , can I please warn you away from the Haven Hotel. I stayed there this weekend based on reviews on this site and it was so bad it has put me off coming back to this part of Devon for a while, which is a shame as I spent many a summer here as a kid, and have many fond memories.

7. Re: Torquay hotel or B&B help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 23:18