We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help ??

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help ??

Has anyone stayed either at the Haytor Hotel or the Hotel Cimon. My wife and I are trying to decide between the to. We will be there in Sept 07.Here are my questions:

1. How far from the train station

2. Walking distance to downtown and the harbour.

3.Are they on a noisy street

4.How is the breakfast.

5. Are they on a hill

Sorry for all the questions we just want to make the best choice.

Thanks so much : )

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help ??

Hello CaliforniaLosthiker

Well I can help you with both of these, as you will see i am a local and used to own a hotel myself. The owners of Both the Haytor Hotel and Hotel Cimon are good friends of mine so i can tell you about both.

Train Station. Hotel Cimon is about 1/2 a mile from the train station and Haytor Hotel is about 1 mile. In my personal opinion i would not walk to either, especially if i have any luggage with me. Taxis are very good round here, they are always at the station to meet trains, or you can call Torbay Cabs 01803 292 292 or Torbay Taxis 01803 211 611.

Walking distance to down town and the harbour. Haytor Hotel is closer to the habour area. Its about 200 yards to the harbour from the Haytor. Hotel Cimon you can walk down the hill to the top part of town which is about 5 minutes, but another 5 -8 minutes to get to the harbour area.

3) Noisy Street - neither are Noisy as such, but the CImon is on the busier street out of them both, both hotels are set away from the road so its unlikely that road traffic would bother you on either.

4) Breakfast - well, i have technically not eaten breakfast at either, although i have served breakfast at both places from time to time - and both breakfasts are great with lots of added extras.

5) Hills - i am sorry to tell you that Torquay is built on 7 hills! Therefore nothing is on the flat. Both places are uphill to walk away from the town/harbour area. Again, i would taxi it to the hotel Cimon and would walk up the hill to Haytor as it is a shorter hill.

As i know both i couldnt give you my opinion on which would be better for you - although i can say that you would have a very pleasant stay in a very well kept and clean hotel in either place. You cant go wrong with either choice. Both have decent carparks, nice cosy bars, bright and well presented breakfast rooms and very well thought out bedrooms. I would happily stay in either of these places.

Hope that helps, if you want any more information i am happy to help, but in 24 hours i am leaving to go sailing on a tall ship for 3 weeks (thats my volunteer work) so wont have email access after then. Take care and enjoy your stay!!

Buckinghamshire
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help ??

I stayed at Hotel Cimon on 22-24 June 2007 and had an excellent time with my boyfriend. It was on a hill if walking back from the sea front (Shedden Hill) but I just thought great to walk off dinner and no rush. Wasn't particuarly a hard walk or tall hill but Torquay is all hilly. It is very close to the sea front and harbour and a very pleasant walk. The street was not very noisy and is set back slightly at any rate, the sea gulls were worse. Breakfast was fab! Great choice, cereal, fruit, toast, tea/coffee/juice, great crepes! waffles, and of course big breakfast.

I made my mind up from the reviews off this website and then which was cheaper. For a double room for two nights with 2 people cost us £120! very good value in comparison to other hotels in area.

Room was slightly small but added to the atmosphere plus it must be remembered most of these places weren't originally built as hotel accomodation. Had clean warm en suite so was ideal.

3. Re: Hotel help ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 08:26
Get answers to your questions about Torquay
Recent Conversations