We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsites

Which Torquay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Herefordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Campsites

Hiya, there are 6 of us (3 couples no kids)off to Torquay in a couple of weeks and we are looking for a campsite. We would like somewhere within walking distance of the beach, we would also like to be able to walk to the town or a small pub. The campsite doesnt need to have entertainment or a pool, just some clean toilets and showers. We will be in tents and dont require electric hook ups,

cheers

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
for Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, English Riviera, Exeter
Level Contributor
352 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campsites

Hello

To be honest I have never really looked at camping sites around Torquay. But i am sure there are no camp sites where you can walk to town and the beach easily. If you give me some details of the ones you were looking at i can give you my opinion on the location.

There are quite a few caravan/camp sites around Paignton, most again are out of town and although they will say they are close to town it may not be the case. However there are a couple of these that are quiet close to beaches and not a million miles away from the town.

For example Waterside Caravan Park and Beverleys. They are both very close to Goodrington Beach, there is a strip of shops there where there is beach shops/chinese takeaways/fish and chips and a pub which is very popular with the holiday makers. It is walkable into Paignton town itself but it is quite a walk.

Sorry i cant be of much help, but if you give me more info on the ones you have looked up i can help more - you may prefer to Private Message me if you wish, i dont mind which,

Regards

TC

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsites

I havent really managed to find any that are suitable. A couple of our party a watching a football match in Torquay on the saturday which is why we chose to camp there. However we have cars so after drawing a blank I am now looking at places within easy reach of Torquay (Paignton, Dawlish)

I have read so many mixed reviews and the prices vary wildly (from £6-£40 per night!) The most important thing is being able to walk to some civilisation (pub!) and the beach.

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsites

Think we have decided on Ladys mile in Dawlish, I used to stay there with my family as a kid and it looks pretty good. If anyone has any reviews of the site, good or bad please let me know! Thanks

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsites

Galpton Holiday Park which is situated between Paignton and Brixham is a lovely site. Beautiful views over the river Dart. Easy walk to frequent bus service for local towns and beaches. Beach is walkable but is a couple of miles. Pubs near site.

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Campsites

Haven't found any actually in Torquay, or in walking distance to the beach, but a few in the area on this site : staysouthwest.com/devon/caravan_camping.html…

Another option may be the Premier Inn torquay, which is cheap, good qaulity and actuall in on of the best positions in the town, right on the front. www.staysouthwest.com/ssw/index.php?id=235

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campsites

Thanks for the replies, we are going to stay at Peppermint Park in Dawlish. It is more central than ladys mile and seems reasonably priced.

I believe we can get the train to Torquay. Is there anything for us ladys to do while the lads are watching football? Whats the shopping like? I have never been so just wondering if its worth us getting the train with them or staying at the site (we have use of a swimming pool etc)

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
for Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, English Riviera, Exeter
Level Contributor
352 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campsites

I am not sure i would ever suggest someone goes to Torquay for the shopping. From Dawlish you can get the train direct to Torquay, it will take about 35 minutes.

However, if you get the train to Exeter, it will be slightly less time and much better for shopping, wandering and stopping for a coffee and cake on the outside courtyards overlooking the Cathedral.

If you do go to Exeter make sure you stay on the train until Exeter Central. There are three Exeter stations, Exeter St Thomas, Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central. Central is best for shopping, St Thomas is good if you want to wander down the quayside/canal stop for a drink/cake there etc. St Davids is good for connections only (no where near anything).

If beaches are what you want, then clearly you are in a prime spot at Dawlish. Dawlish Warren is great, and the beaches around there are good too. Torquay is not worth the train ride to get to their beaches - Dawlish is better for that.

Any other questions??

TC

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campsites

Thanks for the reply, the males in our party are going to Torquay on the saturday afternoon to watch a football match. It sounds as if us ladies would be better off either staying in Dawlish or taking a trip to Exeter. I suppose it really depends on the weather.

Thanks again

9. Re: Campsites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 05:17