We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Torquay

Which Torquay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Topic
Eating out in Torquay

I'm staying in Torquay at a bed & breakfast hotel for a long weekend over 3 nights in the middle of March. The hotel is situated at the bottom of Babbacombe Road about 300 yards up from the harbour. There are 4 of us (2 couples) aged late forties to early fifties.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good places to enjoy an evening meal in and around or within walking distance of the harbour area. I've stayed in Torquay for the last 3 years in March but in hotels where we have stayed full board so I sort of know the area. We just fancied a change this year by going bed & breakfast so that we could have fun finding nice places to eat for our evening meal.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in Torquay

There is a Harvester right near the harbour. Go up the left hand side of the harbour & it is just up around the corner just before the Imerial Hotel. We were in there a couple of weeks ago & it was really good as Harvesters go.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Thanks for your reply Hector. I'll have a look at that as an option when I am down there.

Torquay
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Torquay has some great restaurants. For chinese try Yum sing on the Babbacombe road. If you like seafood No 7 Fish restaurant on the harbour is a must. Would recommend booking as it is very popular & even if not full has a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Thanks Fergie. I will certainly look those two out, particularly the chinese one.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
482 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Sorry I can't help with restaurants in Torquay, but it does seem a shame that one of only two recommendations is a Harvester. There must be a better choice than this in Torquay, come on guys and gals !!

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Well, only just over 4 weeks to go (Fri 19 March) and we are off on our nice long weekend in Torquay. We will certainly have some fun finding some nice places to eat amongst other things. We may try the Hole in the Wall, which is a lovely old pub just up a side lane close to the harbour. Nice beer, good atmosphere and, I believe, the oldest pub in Torbay. Don't know what it's like to eat in there though but worth considering.

Paignton
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in Torquay

If you like Chinese you can't really beat the Oriental Touch which is near the bottom of St Marychurch Road, it would be a long walk or a taxi ride but they do an all you can eat buffet for £9.95 evenings and £5.95 for lunch. If you found yourself at the top end of the town at lunchtime it's certainly worth the then short walk up the hill.

For 'posh nosh' you could try the Elephant Brasserie just above the harbour but it is a bit dearer than you would pay in a Harvester!

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Re the comment regarding the Harvester. If you know the location of the Harvester. Waters edge looking over the marina. You may also give it a look in. We were a party seven, including children & it was great.

Coming from many years where I travelled throughout Europe on business. You know the 4/5 star hotels along with the resturants that go with that life style. All paid for on expences. I know what a good resturant is. But im afraid I been there done it & got the T-shirt.

Pure value for money & location, Give me the Harvester.

Edited: 17 February 2010, 08:36
Paignton
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Granted for a view on a nice day the Harvester is very good and I have eaten there, it's only drawback is that is a chain pub offering, (all be it good value), 'pub grub'. I like to sit on their elevated outside area in the late afternoon early evening sunshine and enjoy a cool pint! If you are looking for a quiet meal with a nice bottle of wine then it may not be to everyone's liking.

Another place I have eaten in several times and never been disappointed is 'Jingles' which is a Texmex restaurant in Torwood Street (between the harbour and Babbacombe Road). The portions seem large as I have never come away hungry and rarely want a dessert

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out in Torquay

Thanks Hector & Indy

Jingles looks like a good choice as it is very close to where I am staying so will probably give it a try. Also, I reckon that the Harvester might be good place for lunch - and as Seamus' Irish bar is on the way there we can combine the two - lunch washed down by a couple (or more!) pints on the way back.

Thank you, again, for your suggestions.