We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torbay area with teanager!

Coventry
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Torbay area with teanager!

We holiday regularly at Finlake and are always looking for exciting new things to do - Adventure sports apart from the beach/sea always at the top of our list!

Any ideas?

We have done go Ape and similar at Chudleigh, Watersports at YHA at Oakhampton and have I believe done all the usual tourist attractions.

Also we struggle with Evening entertainment too old for kids clubs at 14 but too young for bars/clubs

many thanks

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

Hello

Firstly, i presume you know that the Chudleigh place you mention does more that tree top adventures - it does rock climbing, abseiling, caving etc - so it may be worth taking another look at there.

Try River Dart adventures - could be worth a look

http://www.riverdart.co.uk/

Another thing that is worth a look are the treasure trails you can buy. They cost £5, they are sold in various places but online may be best. http://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/

Basically, you choose a town (or area) from the list, such as Torquay or Totnes etc and then you have a treasure trail to follow using clues. They are good fun, cheap and you can stop off for lunch along the way. I have done the Totnes one with a 14 year old and she loved it, and i have also done the Dartmoor by car one with adult friends, they also loved it as it was a lovely day out and let us go and see things and places we would normally miss.

There is a ski slope in Torquay, you could google that.

If you all like walking you could try "letterboxing" on Dartmoor - google that for more information.

You can always find the usual adventure things such as quad bikes, go carts etc if that is your sort of thing.

Evenings are a bit tricky for that age i have to agree - but there are lots of family pubs so dont feel you cant go there. I can only think of things like the cinema etc. In the summer you can do an evening visit to the model village in Babbacombe, sometimes kents Cavern does "fright night" tours.

Hope this has helped a bit

Regards

Tc

Coventry
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

Thanks for your reply

Yes, Rock climbing also at Chudleigh - We like the River Dart Park especially as this is very close to us but at 13 going on 14 a little too old now for the inclusive attractions although we do (especially me ) still like a good water fight across the lake with our water pistols and dingys and then hide and seek in the play area is only 2nd to a game of hide and seek at Woodlands in the big indoor play area .The other activities at River Dart Country Park- those supplied by CRS adventures are best suited for Autumn Winter and are a little tame for summer unless there is anything new.

We have this year done two local(ish) treasure hunts trails Kingsbridge and Teign Valley both were very good we have done several of these across the UK and actually thought the Teign Valley one was one of the best; there is a Garden Centre just outside Newton Abbot on the Totnes Road which sells them (I Googled the sellers back in February- as I couldn't print the trail - forgot printer!) - I actually like these trails so much I tried to purchase an area local to me a couple of years ago to run as a franchise but I was too late it had already gone.

Kents Caverns , model village have been done several times, ideally what I would like is details of activities of people who are perhaps not tourists but live in the area what do their teenagers do in the school holidays (hopefully more than mine – hang round the park with my friends is the answer mine would give) where do you go together as a family in the evenings for a meal or to enjoy a drink and a game of pool/quiz machine/garden?

Is there anyone who rents out boats to locals i.e without the overinflated price increases for tourists for river touring or sea kayaking. Any Companies who will give a tow across the bay for skiing without charging for tuition & wetsuits etc. Or is there anything similar to the set up at Decoy park anywhere within the area?

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

TLH leisure resort in Torquay are well set up for teenagers. i known there is plenty going on and lots of leisure facilities too, worth a look with plenty of local watersport activities and local attractions in the area to keep teenagers busy most days

Coventry
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

TLH - Is this the Hotel Group 3 hotels?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

Yes it is three hotels. I am not sure it is what you are looking for though.

Sounds like you have been here and done it all many times - i have to say that when it comes to what the locals do, they tend to have little choice but do what the tourists do.

Getting out on the water is quite pricey - You could charter a yacht with a skipper for a day - sounds like you possibly havent done that yet. As far as other activities on the water, it is the touristy boats only really (i.e. water skiing by the hour etc).

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,928 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

We are trying the TLH next week with our 14yr old so will report back as to whether there was lots for him to do. Looks a good entertainments programme on the website!

We had a speedboat ride from the harbour a few years ago which was good and must have been reasonable prices for us to go on it . (Took the dog and youngster on it as well.That was fun trying to hang onto them both to stop them going overboard as well as gripping onto the side to keep ourselves in! LOL)

Edited: 21 August 2010, 10:48
Coventry
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

Thanks to all

Managed to find new things to do:

This summer we added rock climbing to our list :great fun but hard work did this through the Rock Climbing Centre at Chudleigh which is now based at Finlake although Finlake staff didn't appear to know this.

We hired kyaks at Teignmouth and had a couple of hours in the estuary and paddled against the tide hard work but fun

We (well I took photographs the other half and my daughter were the only ones fool hardy enough!) took part in the mud race across the estuary at Coombe Cellers to the red rock (I think this is correct) and even made it onto the local news as Plymouth TV filmed the event.

My daughter walked on water at Finlake one of the things that Hoseasons have added to their holidays but anyone can sign up.

Swam and went tubbing in the river dart we used an updside down dingy and a blow up tyre- found the place in wild smimming book just passed River Dart Country Park very cold just about bearable with wetsuits but great water quality.

Took a few days in Newquay and had a good time surfing on body boards

and managed to finally find some sun in Looe on the way back.

We will be back again no doubt at half term and then again at Christmas so please keep the ideas coming..

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,928 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

clairexlouise -

Sounds like you had a lovely exciting time and a bit better weather than we had in Torquay last week!

We stayed at the TLH resort Torquay for the first time with our 14 yr old. It was so good for all the family that we turned our 3 night stay into 6 nights in the end.(Even though the weather outside was awful,we found plenty to keep us occupied inside !) I'd recommend it for teenagers,especially those going on their own with their parents, as the teens club brings them all together and my son met some really good friends there. We hardly saw him after that first day!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

We have owned a lodge at Finlake since 2005 when our three boys were (then) 15, 12 and 9. The 2 oldest are now grown men and we have gone through the same process that you are going through now. We tend to alternate going abroad and holidaying at Finlake each year, but as we don't let our lodge out we make use of it all year, basically weather dependant.

Sounds like you have done most of what we have done, but if not I would recommend the RYA dinghy / Multi-hull course at SW Watersports as an all day activity you could either watch them enjoy, leave them and explore, or even join in - I did. It does cost a bit for the 5 day course, but they do get a certificate at the end and teaches them a skill / hobby that they may take up later - we joined a local sailing club at home afterwards and used the club dinghys @ 10 per day. The catamaran course was really exhilirating.

This year we took some kayaks and these were good for exploring close to the beach - or as we did, take them to Bantham (45 mins from Finlake) and ride the surf waves in them - excellent fun. This also opened the boys eyes to surfing and there are surf schools at both Bantham and Bigbury. Our boys did the 3 day course at Bantham and were standing up in their first lesson and cutting across the waves in their second. Again course costs a bit, but you can hire a board for 10 for 2 hours or 15 all day which we thought was good value - and it forces you out of the lodge at differing times, but it can be a pain if its chucking it down !

Take care at Bantham though as there are no shops / cafes so take EVERYTHING but if you have the weather and the waves (check out bigsalty.com) a good day for a sandwich or 4 on the beach and a barbecue in the evening.

Failing that - and again kayak based - try saddles and paddles in Exeter where you can hire either bikes (for mum and dad) and / or Kayaks and you can paddle / pedal down the Exeter canal to either the Turf Locks or Double Locks whre the food at both is really good. An all day activity if you go to the furthest pub.

10. Re: Torbay area with teanager!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Torquay
Recent Conversations