We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

I am visiting Torquay @ the end of June 2011.

I am torn between The Grand and The Corbyn?

Both have mixed reviews - both have free parking (a necessity), both are seafront - both have seafront rooms at similar prices.

Any advice would appreciated - The Grand seems to pull as it does indeed look 'Grand' - on the other hand The Corbyn looks more intimate.

I will be staying with my elderley Mum, and whilst the Corbyn has a ground floor room available - The Grand has a lift.

ANY HELP would be much appreciated ;o)

Thanks

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

What put us off booking The Grand is the fact that there is only very limited parking at the hotel itself and we were told by the receptionist that if we couldn't get on the small hotel car park, that we could 'park the car on the railway Station Car Park'.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
394 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Another thing to note is the Corbyn is a good walk into Torquay although bus services run past the door every 5 mins or so

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Corbyn isn't that far away from Torquay centre than the Grand,but there is a very slight uphill between the Grand to the Corbyn.

I'd advise to find out where the ground floor room is actually located in the Corbyn. We were going to book up with our dog several years ago and they had a ground floor room which we could have stayed in. We ended up staying across the road in The Livermead Cliff Hotel which was good, but when we had a look where the ground floor in the Corbyn would have been, we were really pleased we had decided against it as it was right around the back by the railway track.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

If you have a car, Or your relative is "able to take a bus", think about hesketh cresvcent...I'm sure your relative (like us thought of Poirot). Check it out. We had a lovely apartment here, two years ago!!

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my dilemma!

In the end we opted fpr The Grand, as it is slightly nearer to town, and looked 'Grander' than The Corbyn. We have been allocated a room near the lift and as we have a Blue Badge, have been allocated a parking space for the week (watch this space)!

We go on Saturday, so will post my findings on my return.

Wish me luck|!

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Hope all turns out well with both your hotel room and parking and you enjoy a good break!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the carparking situation there,as the uncertainty of getting a space is what previously put us off booking The Grand in the past.

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

I have now returned from a very pleasant stay in the Grand Hotel. I am pleased I picked The Grand over The Corbyn, as stated the Corbyn is on a incline so this would have been hard going with my disabled Mum. The room we had was on the 4th floor, with a lovely view. It had been newly decorated I think, I would call it a compact double.

Parking ....... As promised on arrival there was a cone in one of the bays with my name on it ;o) However 2 days later this had disappeared and I asked the valet people if it had been removed, she told me it has as it was their bollard!! I explained I had been allocated a space for 1 week, so she put another bollard out for me. All good for 5 nights, then someone 'steals' my spot, not the end of the world there was a space on the road - last night again my spot had been 'stolen', but I parked in Torquay station. This has no bearing on the hotel, as it wasn't their fault someone else used my space - they done what they promised to do.

All in all a really enjoyable stay and I would definitely stay there again.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Glad you had a good time Paula :)

I will have a look at the parking situation around The Grand in August when we are down there,staying in the Toorak not far away.May be a bit more difficult to park there for us in the school hols .

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Glad you enjoyed your stay. I can't comment on the Grand, but the Corbyn was a great place to stay as a family group. We had an upper level apartment which was very smartly appointed and had views of Torquay which was a twenty minute stroll away if I recall correctly.

The Corbyn suited our needs as a touring base and the kids loved the wee swimming pool and small play area. Having to walk into town was actually something we enjoyed doing each day and became part of our routine. There was also a beach across the road and down some steps. What it does lack is a garden but at least there was parking. The railway line at the rear of the Corbyn didn't bother us at all. Just thought I'd mention my stay in case it's useful to anyone else who finds this thread. Oh and the weather really did live up to it's English Riviera status. April was a scorcher.

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torquay Hotel : Corbyn V Grand?

Thanks to all for their messages and advice - We were also lucky with the English Riviera weather - we had a fantastic week and that makes all the difference. I particularly enjoyed sitting on the terrace in the evening with Torquay all lit up in the distance - I will return!