We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Which Torquay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Hi! We are going on a weekend trip from London to Torquay this weekend.

Can you please give us an idea about what we can do with two kids ( 4 and 2) in the area , especially is the wether forecast is rain , rain ,rain. Places to visit, fun activities for the kids, lovely little towns to visit and nice places for lunch or dinner. What is the local specialty and where are the best fish restaurants? Anything you can think of we need inspiration and ideas. Thank you

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

My first recommendation here is always: have you asked the people you have booked your accommodation with? If they are worth their money, they should be able to answer your question in a lot of detail.

Secondly, the nice thing about weather in Devon is that a. it is almost impossible to predict (thanks to the Gulfstream) and b. even if not that great, it rarely rains for long stretches on end.

Personally don't know Torquay too well, but Living Coasts, Babacombe Mini Village and Paignton Zoo are all gems. For food I would recommend to try one of the little villages around Torquay, as they tend to have lovely local pubs, rather than the more 'mass market' oriented places in a town such as Torquay.

Enjoy!

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Hi ivalinki

In addition to TravelHappy's accurate advice, I can give you a couple of extra pointers. The weather forecast for the weekend ahead isn't great, but it could be worse, so don't rule out outdoors things. Paignton Zoo really is fantastic, and there are quite a lot of undercover areas where you can view the animals from. It is perfect for a cloudy day with a bit of rain here and there, and great for kids and adults alike.

Cockington is on the edge of Torquay, and there is plenty to see there in terms of crafts, etc, and great sloping lawns which my kids have always loved running up and down. Look at http://www.cockingtoncourt.org/ for more info.

You can have a really nice day by heading over to Shaldon and Teignmouth. Park at the Ness car park in Shaldon, then you can either head down the old smugglers tunnel to the Ness Beach, or you can visit the small zoo which is next to the car park. Or walk down along the river's edge to find the small passenger ferry which takes you to Teignmouth. 3 minutes walk from where you get off is a great play park (suitable for your aged children), then you also have the Pier, as well as a nice seafront which you can wander a long way along. You can get a nice lunch in the Beachcomber near the Pier. This would be a suitable day out for you if it isn't too wet!

Otherwise, do this - http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk/ - a great day out, and suitable for the wet weather. You also get a chance to see Dartmouth and Totnes, which certainly count as lovely towns, for various and differing reasons.

You could go down to the fabulous Plymouth Aquarium, but you might not want to go too far from your base.

There are many other options, but this should be sufficient.

I can't comment on fish restaurants in Torquay I'm afraid, apart from Hanburys Fish and Chip shop in Babbacombe, who definitely do serve up great fish and chips!

Have a great time, and let is know what you do in the end please!

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Hi I am also not looking forward to the weather this weekend.

In the event that there is no sun on the horizon, which is likely to be the case :

I would suggest:

Steam train to Dartmouth, which leaves from Paignton. On Paignton seafront now next to the Cinema is a new childrens park/play area which is very good. Dartmouth is a must.

Also the English Leisure Centre in Torquay has a nice pool with slides etc

Paignton Zoo always top on the list.

I always used to take my son to China Blue in Totnes, for something a bit different, children are able to select a piece of pottery and then paint their own design on it. Totnes is nice for a look around,

If you check out Trip Advisor there are good fish restaurants in Brixham and when we visited last weekend noticed that a new one had just opened called Simply Fish which looked very nice. I can recommend the Breakwater Bistro .

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Hi! Can't thank you enough for taking the time and giving me such valuable advices. I have printed them out and would try and do as much as possible. Would try and update you on my return. Have a nice weekend.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 09:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Report on our trip : 8th March visited Wells. Beautiful town. Great time there.

9th March - steam train to Dartmouth and a boat trip on the river, followed by a nice walk in the town and a lunch in a fish and chips restaurant. Wanted to have cream tea but the place we were recommended did not accept kids and the other one was closed.

10th March - went to Babbacombe Mini Village but was so wet that we decided there was no point in going in. Went to the harbor , short walk in a intense cold and rain and headed back to London. Stopped at Ilminster for lunch and 5 min at Stonehenge, where the wind was strong and it was severely cold.

Decision : To return to Torguay for 5-6 days and visit the Babacombay, Cockington and the many pretty places and scenery that you can enjoy in a nice weather.

Thank you for your posts , i had them printed and there were my guides.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Glad the bad weather hasn't put you off another visit. Even in the rain, Devon still looks good, and there are lots of good indoor things to do.

If it is any consolation, I spent yesterday morning watching my son play rugby, and I got soaked and completely frozen!

Fingers crossed for better weather next time you come.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Ohh , we loved Devon. Next time I will try to contact you in time for some extra tips. Hope you didn't get cold from yesterday.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Glad you enjoyed your hols.

Torquay
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Torquay, I have two children similar ages (4 and 5) and would recommend the Waves Pool at the English Riveria Centre, Torquay, Torquay Museum and Bygones (all Torquay) for wet weather half days out. There is also a great soft play centre called The Play Cafe. If you come back and have better weather, the Rare Breeds Farm at Totnes (park at Totnes train station or get the steam train) is really lovely for little children, with a fab, very family friendly cafe.

10. Re: Weekend at Torquay with 2 kids and bad weather forecast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 04:16