We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Which Torquay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
10 posts
Save Topic
What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Hi,

We're 4 persons at around 40-45. and will be stayed at The Osbourne club, Hesketh Crescent for a week from dec 29 - Jan 5 ( got a good exchanges deal from timeshares company).

This area shud be very nice during summer time. so, just wonder if any suggestion for places to visit and activities we can spend our time around that area? while we'll be there for new years eve, is there any fireworks at Torquay centre after countdown this year?

thanks in advance gor all suggestion...

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

>>> This area shud be very nice during summer time <<<

Strange comment - you do realise that it will actually be the middle of winter when you are there?

Having said that, Torquay is noted for its mild (by UK standards) winters, so snow, ice and freezing temperatures are rare.

Torquay is part of the English Riviera, and area also known as Torbay which also includes the towns of Paignton (traditional English seaside town) and Brixham ( a working fishing port). The charming town of Totnes is nearby and you aren't far from the cities of Exeter and Plymouth. All these are easily accessible by bus from Torquay.

I don't know about any fireworks but perhaps this website will have some information nearer the time.

englishriviera.co.uk/places-to-visit/…torquay

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Just to add - if you plan on visiting any attractions check their opening hours carefully. Expect most places to be closed on New Year's Day, although many shops will open. Restaurants will vary, so check beforehand.

There will be no buses on New Year's Day, and they will finish at 8pm on New Year's Eve.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 09:55
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Website (unofficial) for local bus services in Torquay/Torbay:

http://torbaybusroutes.co.uk/buses.php

You might find the 64 useful - it stops at the end of Hesketh Crescent!

Jakarta, Indonesia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Hi wirewiper, thanks for your comment and advise. especially with the Torbay bus route. coz we just considering if we need to rent a car or not during our stay..this bus sched will be really a plus.

yes I do realize that end of Dec is winter time in UK. thats why I just checking if theres something activities we can do, since Torquay is a seaside town, which always connected with sun, sand and beach n shud be much fun if visited during summer time. right?

but my hubby n our frens choose this resort as they cannot refused the very good offer for staying at this place during new year holiday.

anyway, hv been informed by my freind that there's a Factory outlet not too far calls Clarks Village. can we go there by public transport or must hire a car? is it worth a visit? hv u been there ?

thanks a lot.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

OK I understand the comment now, it just came across oddly to me.

The link I gave you should give you some idea of activities. Although Torquay is busy during the summer months the area is quite populous and the hotels do have visitors all year round, so there should still be plenty to see and do.

I've never been to the factory outlet (visiting shopping centres is the LAST thing I want to do on holiday!) but I suspect you will need a car as it isn't in the immediate area.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 11:37
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Clarks Village is near Wells, a long,long way from Torquay, about 1.1/2 hours drive on a good day! I have been a couple of times and personally I think it's not worth the effort you would have to make to get there.

Trago Mills outlet is the nearest cheap shopping place, but you would almost certainly need a car to get to it. Lots of nice places nearby however, Dartmouth, Totnes to name only two.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 11:42
Jakarta, Indonesia
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Wirewiper, i always combine my holiday with shopping. can't escape the temptation bring somethings to myself and for my family when back home. It's woman things.. haha.. but anyway, just tried to find out a good place days out for all of us in case we have spare time, and my idea is shopping At Factory Outlet. > <.

Wegetaboutabit, Nice suggestion. never heard Trago outlet before. how long to reach there by car?

can we visit by public transport from Torquay? learned from the web torbaybusroute given fm wirewiper, there is a bus serv no.12 fm Torquay to Newton Abbot. but maybe Trago location is still outside the city centre?

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Trago Mills is near Bovey Tracey, a little beyond Newton Abbot, but I think it would be difficult by public transport. www.trago.co.uk/‎ try looking it up, it's a very large store, sells everything from carpets/beds to pens/pencils!! You never know what they will have on offer! It would take around 40 minutes from Torquay by car via Newton Abbot.

Some lovely shops in Dartmouth, many art galleries etc. but not cheap! You may also want to perhaps travel to Plymouth, which could be done by public transport, it has good shopping, so does Exeter, easily got to by train from Paignton (next to Torquay). Torquay has some good shops too, you could take advantage of tax free shopping I think.

As your stay is fairly short and there's plenty to see, you will need to restrict your shopping if you want to see the area, it would be a shame to miss out on some of the nice places.

Jakarta, Indonesia
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

You're right, Definately I wont waste all my holiday times just for shopping from one spot to other spots. That's why I loved the idea of Factory Outlet which offer one stop shopping place with an open space area to cater all our needs. so, when the woman shop around, our spouse wont get bored as they also can look around the surrounding n maybe get some sport goods... and all in one roof!! this kind of place is something we hardly find in my home country.

Still hv plenty of time for me to set program for a week in Torquay. We might try to visit Living coast? Kent Cavern? Babbacombe Model Village, Paignton and Cockington village. and some pubs for our night time leisure. hopefully. they were all open during our visit.

thanks all for the informations.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,111 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see and do during New Years week this year?

Yes, try Kent Cavern if it's open :-) We enjoyed it very much.

Regards