We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

Hello,

We're a family of 4 with small children aged 5 and 2 years old. We'll be staying at Axminster for one night before moving onwards to our next destination which we're not sure of.

1. We're wondering if there's enough time to drive in one day (and stop for half or an hour) to these places and if we have to pick a couple of them, which ones are the most suitable for us? I can't seem to decide since all the photos i find on Google look beautiful to me: Lyme regis - Jurassic coast - Durdle door - Lulworth cove?

2. We will be driving north to Legoland Windsor the next day and wondering if a 2 hour drive from Blandford forum will be too much if we start at 8am and take the Southampton route?

5 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

If short of time you will probably need to miss Durdle Door- it’s about 2km walk each way from Lulworth cove up and then down a very steep hill, so it’s at least an hour’s stiff walk plus parking and viewing. Go to Lulworth cove and Lyme Regis to make the most of your short time,

The drive to Legoland will normally be around 2 hours but remember to be ready to allow a little more if there is a holdup somewhere

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,454 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

You could certainly do Lyme Regis and Lulworth Cove in a day. The "Jurassic Coast" is 95 miles long and both Lyme Regis and Lulworth Cove are actually on it. Durdle Door is possibly too challenging for very young children.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

The drive from Blandford Forum to Windsor is likely to take more than 2 hours in morning rush hour traffic, whether you go via Southampton or Salisbury. I would allow 3 hours at that time of day.

It is possible to park quite close to Durdle Door. There is a car park near the caravan site which is about 1 km west of West Lulworth. Parking there avoids climbing the hill from Lulworth Cove.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
196 reviews
4. Re: Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

It’s still a very steep descent down from the car park to Durdle Door though...but worth it if you can manage it. One of my favourite places.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove

LEGOLAND is 35 - 40 minutes from me, and Southampton an hour, assuming no delays; Salisbury to me is about 1 1/2hrs (sometimes a bit more) plus however long it takes from Blandford Forum, so definitely allow more than 2 hours, especially if you need to stop en route. (I'm not far from the M3).

Have you looked at Charmouth? Great for fossil hunting! Lulworth Cove also good for children. Bit of a walk from the car park down to the cove itself, but it's ok.

Reply to: Lyme regis/Jurassic coast/Durdle door/Lulworth cove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dorset
Recent Conversations