We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

We recently spent 4 days in Dorset and enjoyed it immensely. While planning my trip , I did not find any recent trip reports and i used a lot of travel bog articles to map my itinerary. Hopefully , this will be useful for people planning a visit to this beautiful part of England.

Day 1:

We drove down from Solihull in West Midlands to Dorset , braving the traffic on the motorway as it was the beginning of Half-term holidays and a bank holiday weekend. Reached our BnB ( see separate review of The Cottage near Weymouth) and after a welcome rest , made our way to The Springhead , a nearby pub , for dinner. The food was good ( 3 vegetarian options for main course) and then we walked the short distnce back to our rooms for a good night's sleep.

Day 2:

We set off for Studland Bay around 10 am. Being National Trust members , parking was free for us. We spent some time at Knoll beach , building sand castles and enjoying ice creams in the warm sunshine. Then we drove down to South Beach nearby. After a great lunch at the Bankes Arms, we set off down the coast path to view Old Harry Rocks. My 4 year old son enjoyed biking down this path and after numerous photos, we made our way back. We had planned to visit Corfe Castle next but my son was very tired by now, so we decided to call it a day

Day 3 :

Lyme Regis was our first port of call. After spending an hour trying to find parking , we eventually made our way to Dinosaurland Fossil museum. Although small , it was fascinating and my son enjoyed it a lot. After lunch at The Millside Restaurant , we decided to leave Lyme Regis as the beaches were heaving with crowds and the sun was scorching. Branscombe beach nearby is also a National Trust property but the car park near the beach is privately owned. I read the shocking reviews after our visit and hope I don't get a parking fine too! The beach itself was beautiful and we spent a pleasant few hours here.

Day 4 :

On our last day, we went to Lulworth and Durdle Door. The 1.5 mile walk up the South West Coast path was great exercise and the views were splendid. After lunch at a nearby cafe, we left for home.

I have written a more detailed report with some pictures on my blog , if anyone is interested :

mytravelprescription.com/2018/…

Mentioned in this post
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Solihull
Solihull
West Midlands, UK
West Midlands
West Midlands
England, UK
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
The Springhead
The Springhead
831 Reviews
Weymouth, UK
Studland Bay
Studland Bay
Swanage, UK
Old Harry Rocks
Old Harry Rocks
641 Reviews
Swanage, UK
Corfe Castle
Corfe Castle
2,300 Reviews
Corfe Castle, UK
Lyme Regis
Lyme Regis
Dorset, UK
Dinosaurland Fossil Museum
Dinosaurland Fossil...
301 Reviews
Lyme Regis, UK
The Millside Restaurant
The Millside Restaurant
651 Reviews
Lyme Regis, UK
Branscombe Beach
Branscombe Beach
236 Reviews
Branscombe, UK
Lulworth Lodge
Lulworth Lodge
88 Reviews
West Lulworth, UK
Durdle Door Holiday Park
Durdle Door Holiday Park
454 Reviews
East Lulworth, UK
Lolas Restaurant
££ - £££, Mediterranean, Spanish
Moose Kitchen
££ - £££, Canadian, International
Red Panda Lyme Regis
£, Asian, Fast food, Healthy
5 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

thank you for this, I didnt know about the parking scam. If you do get a ticket at least follow the advice here about a trading standards complaint https:/…

In the summer Lyme Regis has a park and ride scheme. There are a couple of large car parks so if the first was full and you drove right through the town you'd have seen a sign to one on the cobb as you left heading for Branscombe. Charmouth might have been a bit quieter and has a small fossil centre.

You will have to come back for Corfe castle, Brownsea Island an a few other places.

Mentioned in this post
Lyme Regis
Lyme Regis
Dorset, UK
Charmouth
Charmouth
Bridport, UK
Corfe Castle
Corfe Castle
2,300 Reviews
Corfe Castle, UK
Brownsea Island
Brownsea Island
1,961 Reviews
Poole, UK
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

We did try at least 4 different car parks in Lyme Regis.. almost gave up and decided to head to Charmouth instead when miraculously we found a spot to park in Monmouth car park! I didn’t know about the park and ride service though.

Mentioned in this post
Lyme Regis
Lyme Regis
Dorset, UK
Charmouth
Charmouth
Bridport, UK
england
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

Was not sure when the park and ride starts and finishes so googled it - https:/…park-ride-reopen-summer-1387777

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

this is great info. I am planning a similar trip with my kids so this was really helpful.

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
960 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast

Thank you for this most interesting report

Reply to: Trip report - road trip along the Jurassic coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted