We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

Hi,

I'm planning a break for Christmas to the Jurassic Coast with my partner and would like some advice on the best village to stay at.

Ideally, I would like to rent a flat/small cottage somewhere quaint located near the coast. I will be coming from London (by train) and will not have a car so the location should also have some form of public transport to go around (or bike rentals at least).

We would like a mixture of hikes, fossil hunting, historical sites, nice pubs, etc. The whole coast looks really nice and it's not easy to pick a particular spot.

So any advice on where's best, considering the lack of cars, would be welcome.

Also any recommendations on holiday rentals/B&Bs are also welcome. If they are cat friendly even better as I am considering taking my cats too (it will be a difficult time to find a cat sitter).

Also considering the period, is it best to travel down on Friday 23rd? Are shops/restaurants likely to be closed completely over the Christmas week-end?

Thank you very much!!

Shyamal

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,084 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

There won't be any public transport in that area on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. There will be public transport on other days but services will shut down early evening on Christmas Eve.

Lyme Regis would probably be your best bet, it is a small town right on the coast and noted for its fossils. You can get there by bus (no. 31) from Axminster Station and I think you can get a through rail and bus ticket.

Another possibility would be Abbotsbury, although that is a small village with very few facilities and you will probably find yourself very limited if you are stuck there over the Christmas period. If you do choose Abbotsbury you can get the X53 bus from Weymouth Esplanade, a few minutes walk from the Station.

Of course you could stay in Weymouth itself but it probably isn't your idea of 'quaint'. However it is a bigger town and gives you more options, and is probably the place where you will be most likely to find some shops open on Boxing Day. The aforementioned X53 bus - on the days when it is running - will allow you to get to other locations on the Jurassic Coast.

Whereever you go, if you want to have a Christmas lunch out and not self-cater then you will need to make sure you have a reservation sooner rather than later. Also, if you are food shopping on Christmas Eve, don't leave it too late as most shops will close mid-afternoon.

Edited: 31 October 2011, 14:00
2. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 November 2011, 11:35
london
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

Thanks both for your suggestions. I've decided to stay in Weymouth as the train stops there and thought it would be easier to find public transport and opened shops during that period.

I cannot wait to discover the area.

Thanks again

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

Hi Foubert, fully understand that the rail connection to Weymouth swung it for you. For future trips however, Lyme Regis is an absolute must go, and almost as easy to get to, and around. Train to Axminster (think Hugh FW), and short bus journey to Lyme Regis. Lyme itself will easily keep you entertained for a few days (it totally fits the bill for what you say you are after), or allows you to take the famous X53 Jurassic Coast Hopper bus service, a fantastic double decker trip (take the top deck, allows you to see over the hedges!) stopping at various beautiful places along the coast, i.e. Beer.

Enjoy your Christmas!

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

Bit late joining this thread, but see here for some ideas on where to visit on the wonderful Dorset coast:

…blogspot.com/search/label/Dorset

Bournemouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

Check out Chesil Beach when you are there and have a coffee at the Heights Hotel which has the best view of the beach.More details here

http://www.the-dorset-guru.com/portland.html

7. Re: Planning a Christmas break to the Jurassic Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:16