We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flat for prams?

lancashire
Level Contributor
224 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Flat for prams?

Hi,

I've never been to Dorset before however I ve picked two caravan parks and one is in Charmouth and the other Weymouth. As we have two children I just wanted to know which was more pram friendly? We like going walking more than anything else so also which is the better area to use as a base?

Thanks

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flat for prams?

I can remember staying in a holiday park in Dorset, just to the East of Weymouth , right on the coast, there is a long flat walk into town with a wall, the children always wanted to walk on the wall.

Cant remember its name but we had such a good time we went back the next year.

charmouth
Level Contributor
94 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flat for prams?

Charmouth is a bit hilly towards lyme regis end but from the caravan parks its relatively flat to theshops and the beach. Which park are you looking at.?

lancashire
Level Contributor
224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flat for prams?

We've been looking at Chesil Vista in Weymouth and Newlands Park in Charmouth. We will be going for days out all over Dorset but it would be nice if we had a base that we could walk to the shops from. Our other option is Sandford in Poole. Thankyou for replying.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flat for prams?

Chesil Vista is near the road to Portland. You could walk to town via the Rodwell Trail and take in the views en route. The Rodwell trail was the old railway line from Weymouth to Portland, and has now been tarmaced over and used as a cycle/footpath so makes a lovely flat walkway into town. Beware however of cyclists who ride past at speed and dont appear to have bells to warn you of their approach! There is also a flat walk from the caravan park, to Portland, past the sailing academy, but once on Portland it is hilly!.

Weymouth itself has a flat esplanade to walk along, so is ideal for buggys, and the sand is some of the best! There is also plenty to do in Weymouth, with Sea Life, Sandworld, punch & judy, donkey rides, play parks, etc.

Charmouth by xomparison is small. Not many shops there, and not much to do other than whats available at the caravan park. Mainly known for fossil hunting. The beach is small too, so it really depends what sort of holiday you want. Quieter - then Charmouth, Busier and activity - then Weymouth. You could also consider Swanage, which falls between Charmouth & Weymouth for facilities: Sandy beach, some activities and rides, and more shops than Charmouth but not as manyas Weymouth, It really depends as I said before on what sort of holiday you want. Wherever you go the scenery is amazing

and you should have a good time..

lancashire
Level Contributor
224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flat for prams?

Thankyou very much for that. We have booked Weymouth now for June and looking forward to it.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flat for prams?

hope you enjoy it here and will let us have your comments. if you need any more advice on what to do etc, i'm sure lots of local TA forumites can help.

7. Re: Flat for prams?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:18