We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

London, UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

Hello lovely people,

My husband and I would love to escape London for the coast in April. We don't drive and plan to take the train from London, staying 2 nights. We are early 30s/40s, both love a good walk and love the sea, and have never been to Dorset.

Would Weymouth be a good place to base ourselves? I looked a little at West Lulworth, it seems closer to the best walks but less accessible without a car (correct me if I'm wrong). Weymouth seems a good combination of convenience - good size town, reachable by train, shops and restaurants etc. If we stay there, is it easy to get to the coastal walks? I.e. are there frequent bus services, or can we simply foot it everywhere?

Any suggestions very much appreciated! Thank you

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

West Lulworth has fantastic walks, but you'd need a bus or taxi from Wool. That wouldn't be pricey though so I wouldn't rule it out. It is nothing more than a small village though.

The same for Corfe Castle - bus or taxi from Wareham. It's a bit bigger and the country walks around there are fantastic. You can even use the steam railway to make a memorable end to a circular walk on the hills.

Mike

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

If you stay in Weymouth, the best bus service to use would be the Jurassic Coast X53 service - see here for timetable and leaflet :

jurassiccoast.org/downloads/jurassic_coast_b…

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…20web.pdf

The train service will also be useful for getting to Wareham and Wool

Phil-the-Bus

charmouth
Level Contributor
94 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

Take a train to Axminster from Waterloo and you are a mere 15 minute no 31 bus ride (hourly service) to the jurassic coast at Lyme Regis and Charmouth where you can also pick up the no 53 . The walking in west dorset east devon is just as spectacular on this part of coast as further east.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

also swanage is a good place to walk from

plenty of accomm too.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

As previously mentioned, Swanage and Corfe are good but need to get bus from Wareham, (or steam train

from Corfe to Swanage but you will need to check times if not travelling at weekend as not so frequent out of season: www.swanagerailway.co.uk) Weymouth is a good base with more transport choice, and obviously more plentiful accommodation. Please check the bus time of the 31 and X53 on previous posters link. First are changing the times, and X53 will not run at all on Sundays now. This seems shortsighted to me, as in the summer many people get that bus from Weymouth, along the coast, to do a walk, and catch the bus from somewhere else on the route to get back, and for us locals,,Sundays is the best day to do it! The last 31 bus is now earlier than before too, though should still get you back in time for dinner! hope this helps.

London, UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

Thank you so much for all the replies! I'll have a think. The bus services advice/ warnings are duly noted, very useful to know. Can't wait to see the coast again - being in London can be fantastic but does it make one long for open vistas!

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

Please note:One other major thing to be aware of. Due to lots of rain last year and this, we have lots of cliff falls generally in this area, from Lulworth, Swanage right across into Devon, and lots of areas on the coast paths are closed off. I'm sure you will heed the warnings if you see them, but there seem to be lots of idiots who aren't taking any notice, and then end up having to be rescued. Please dont be one of them. There are still plenty of walks to do in the area, and also plenty inland walks too. The cliff fall warnings can also apply to some of the beaches too. They are fine as long as you dont walk too near the cliff. Hope you have a good time and the weather is kind.

8. Re: April walking weekend, no car: Should we base in Weymouth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:16