We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Hi we are staying at the Inside Park campsite in Blandford Forum for 6 nights from 27 Aug.

We are travelling as 2 families consisting of 4 adults and 4 kids, age range 11-14 + 1 dog.

We have booked Go Ape for 1 day. Can anyone suggest any 'must do's' for our break in Dorset please. We are fun loving people who enjoy life, the great outdoors, good food and wine and the kids are pretty hardy so welcome different / altnerative activities.

We aren't massive beach lovers so won't be planning on being on the beach everyday but would like to visit a beach 1 day at least and have the dog to consider in making our choice of what beach to visit.

We have a motorhome and although have access to a car if anyone knows of any amazing spots for an evening sunset bbq we would really love to know about them.

Thanks in advance.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Kimmeridge beach is a must. Have you considered kayaking? You could always book a kayak safari

www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/kayaking.html. It is worth having a walk around Tyneham (the lost village) and you can also walk down to the shore from there - very basic pebble beach.

Hire bikes from Wareham and cycle around Purbeck - get off the beaten track and you'll find it a wonderful county. Could try http://www.purbeckcyclehire.co.uk/ . If water is more your thing then hire a boat from Wareham quay.

I love West Bay for a slightly busier seaside. The harbour is lovely and we usually try to catch crabs off the pier. Parking is very reasonable and they have a relatively challenging play park which my 9 and 12 year olds love. For a rainy day we love wandering around Dorchester - quaint old market town. If you want visitor attractions then the Swannery at Abbotsbury and Monkey World are great. I'd give Weymouth Sealife centre a miss ( we find it boring) but the Oceanarium next to Bournemouth Pier is excellent. Also have a look at what is showing at the Rex cinema in Wareham - it is gas lit and old fashioned but that's the charm.

Back to the seaside but high above Weymouth lies Northe Fort - we used to charge around there as kids on a blustery day - history and wonderful views all in one. Portland is an alternative - with the lighthouse and a great place to fly kites. They also do a lot of rock climbing but I'm not sure of the details. Have fun

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Thank you Lisa T, I have only just seen your reply. Please don't think I wasn't appreciative of your time and response :-)

I will have a good look of all of your suggestions now, lets just hope this weather holds out.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Suggestions....

Portland Bill and lighthouse

West Bay (for chips!)

Eype - bbq on beach

Hope it's sunny!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Kimmeridge beach for certain!

It is dog friendly and is part of the Jurassic coast, you dont have to sit on a beach, hunt for fossils and search the rockpools.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Just been to dig out my maps, Worbarrow was the other beach we liked, the car park was half a mile from the beach which meant it never got crowded (most people and unbelievably lazy), but the dog would enjoy the walk down.

And a day in the New Forest.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Thank you walkingwithboots & Fushiagirl, especially for taking the time to dig out your map ! Very kind.

I think Kimmeridge is for us as we are not massive sand lovers ! However we do appreciate the coast and the fun it offers, so Kimmeridge is on the agenda. I will check out Worbarrow, Eype (sounds interesting to be able to actually BBQ on the beach in the UK where it is so often banned) and Portland Bill (it brings back happy memories of the TV programme as a child !)

Looking at some boat trips/hire too so if you have any feedback on that idea it would be gratefully received. We are now a group of 13 consisting of 5 adults and 7 kids ranging from 8-14.

Dorset
Level Contributor
226 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Hi

Dorset steam fair is held near Blandford from 28 August to 1 September - there can be traffic delays but diversions are sign-posted.

For dogs on beaches check www.Dorsetforyou.com/walkingdogsonbeaches

I would also suggest Lulworth cove and Durdle Door.

Have a great time

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

Thanks MegDorset, we plan on the steam fair as it is where we are staying. We have been to Lulworth and Durdle door before as we go to Camp Bestival each year and have popped there at the same time.

9. Re: Staying in Blandford .. Dorset must do's ? Kids at 11-14.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:19