We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I do in Bournemouth?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
What can I do in Bournemouth?

I would like to take a daytrip and was told that Bournemouth was a good place to visit. What else is there to see besides the beach? Are there any good shopping malls or centres? By the way what is Swanage?

Thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

Sit on a seat, moulder & die. That's what most inhabitants of Bournemouth do

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

Okay so I'm assuming there isn't much to do down there. I thought it was supposed to be a really happening place to visit.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

There is a nice shopping area but the same as most towns,

I believe its got a quite a few clubs etc.

There is a lot of language schools in Bournmouth.

There is a nice park which runs from the seafront up towards the shops

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

I lived in Bournemouth most of my life(I was born there) and I can assure you I certainly found better thigs to do there than moulder and die on a seat...!

I would suggest that Bournemouth would make for a good day out. Its very different to Winchester but does still have some of its old fashioned charm along with the new and modern. There are no shopping malls in Bournemouth . Personally I think that's a good thing , I can't think of a more boring and clinical way to shop. There are plenty of good high street shops to choose from , the Town Centre has had quite a big makeover in the last few years so many of the shops are large and well presented. It has a continental feel to it with good restaurants , cafe's and bars and lots of opportunity's to sit outside and eat & drink. Bournemouth Gardens are beautiful and on a nice day its a pleasure to just walk through and see all the fantastic flowers or just sit and people watch ! The seafront is probably the best on the south coast - just walk along get an ice cream have a paddle or even lunch at one of the cafe's or restaurants along the front .

In other words mayday - if you've got the time and some imagination you could have a great day out in Bournemouth .

Swanage is another seaside town further along the coast . I haven't been there for years but its a very pretty town . Probably woth a visit too !

Poole
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

I found these websites useful to find info about bournemouth:

http://www.city-experts.com/bournemouth

http://www.bournemouth.co.uk/

I hope this help. Cheers.

Eric

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

I've lived in Bournemouth my whole life and agreeing with the other post there is a lot to do in Bournemouth. There is a shopping centre, but it is outdoors and out of the town centre and there are currently road works and Bournemouth buses are very bad, it takes about 30 minutes. There is a large shopping area with most common high street shops and Beales which is a local, large department store. There is a nice walk down through the gardens to the sea.

Swanage is the largest town on the isle of purbeck and is very nice, although quite small. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the car ferry which is quite cheap and lasts 5 minutes. It is then about a 15-20 minute drive to Swanage which is a nice beach town with an amazing chocolate shop and is still full of victorian houses. It is a nice drive through Dorset countryside to get there and is nice and not city-like as Bournemouth is. It is very hilly.

7. Re: What can I do in Bournemouth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 05:24