We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oh dear poor bournemouth

peterborough
Level Contributor
147 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
oh dear poor bournemouth

i used to live in the area 1990/93 went back 5 yrs ago for holidays, nothing had changed. Still the fun loving clean town,plenty of shows, ect.....Just come back from a 5 day holiday in bournemoth,im still in shock,wats happend to the town?? obviously its suffering like many places are in this climate,But no blue flags award anymore? this has led to the beach being more dirty than ive ever seen it,lost blue flag ,due to needles on beaches,plus barbecues being left on beaches still burning.The BIC is no more than a multistorie car park,those main doors on the front are now locked, the lovelly swimming pool has been taken out, the cafe terracing over looking the sea is no more,the only show goimg on there now is some ice skating???????in the peak season,where there used to be top name artists this time of year.The chuch oppisite has now closed and looks a shambles.

T pavillion used to have a nice beer garden out the back of it now gone.The students are just as ignorant though.

The gardens leading from the beach are still nice,if you dont get knocked by a cyclist,plenty of signs about no cycling but they are ignored

and nobody enforces the rule.Sad to see the town like this now,what are your thoughts?

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

Bournemouth Seafront and neighbouring Poole have each won four Blue Flags and in addition Bournemouth has been presented with the impressive Quality Coast Award. Combined the resorts have more Blue Flags than any other UK destination – unquestionably reaffirming the area as a leading European location.

Blue Flags have been awarded to: Alum Chine beach, Durley Chine beach, Fisherman’s Walk and Southbourne in Bournemouth and Sandbanks, Shore Road Canford Cliffs Chine and Branksome Chine in Poole.

Bournemouth currently holds 10 Green Flag awards for its parks and gardens which means, that with its Blue Flags, holds more awards than any other town in the UK.

The Blue Flags are on display all along the seafront. There has been a big improvement to the RNLI lifeguards on the beaches.

As for the Pavillion it is going through major refurb & the BIC is showing more International Stars & shows than ever. The Ice Skating is at the rear of the BIC & is only on for the school holidays for the kids.

The Punchion Hall opposite the BIC has just been sold to developers.

Bournemouth Air Festival 2009, the UK’s biggest free aviation Festival!

20th - 23rd August - BY THE SEA & COMPLETELY FREE!

peterborough
Level Contributor
147 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

no blue flags were seen in bournmouth when i was here 13-20 july for reasons i stated,and what top shows.just a few has beens

Swanage, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

negative negative ... i think you must have had your eyes closed that day, Bournemouth is a fabulous place to visit.

With it being the school holidays the BIC are aiming their programme at families with children. Over the next few weeks they have a fabulous Dinosaur Encounter, in association with The Natural History Museum as well as Disneys High school musical Live on stage, ice skating and in the Pavillion theatre they've got Chicago. or what about the Oceanarium with the World's first Interactive Dive Cage, or the forthcoming surf-reef and all those lovely new beach huts in Boscombe.

In August comes the Bournemouth air festival,awesome air displays, attractions and fantastic evening entertainment ... and its all FREE

Bournemouth Seafront and neighbouring Poole have each won four Blue Flags and in addition Bournemouth has been presented with the impressive Quality Coast Award. Combined, the resorts have more Blue Flags than any other UK destination – unquestionably reaffirming the area as a leading European location.

Then there's the gardens,the magnificent Grade 2 listed rockery in Bournemouth lower gardens,the bandstand, the aviary and the open air art exhibition and the award-winning tropical gardens of Alum Chime.

(sigh) you can't please all of the people all of the time eh

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

Well said Happyfamilles, my thoughts totally. It is a Fabulous place to live & for those who want to holiday.

I wonder if a certain person has ever heard the saying " When your pointing the finger there are always three pointing back".

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

Well I have to say, having just come back from Bournemouth today, and not having visited since we took the children on holiday there in 1998,it is not the same.

On a warm late summers day (yesterday) we thought the cental area around the pier looked very down at heel, where are the planters full of flowers, perhaps some nice seating overlooking the sea, the continental style cafes/wine bars where you could sit out and have a glass of wine/cup of coffee. There was just foul air from the constant traffic whizzing by on the adjacent overpass. We visited the only bar with a terrace there, dirty tables, fag ends everywhere. The alternative was a young persons bar with blaring music and no air conditioning on.

The stag and hen party scene did not exist in Bournemouth in 1998 as far as we can recall, there were lots of drunken people about late evening, especially female. Taxi drivers told us that drunken stags/hens are becoming a bit of a challenge to them.

On the positive side, our hotel The West Cliff Inn, newly refurbished, was very comfortable, and some investment has clearly taken place there. The cliff walks are still good, and the beach, from a distance, still looked great - the beach always was Bournemouths main attraction. But I think that parts of Bournemouth definitely need smartening up and they need a tourist supremo to attract other types of tourist to the resort.

I don't mean to offend the citizens of Bournemouth by this opinion, I have very fond memories of holidays in the area over the years, but the town isn't quite what it was.

London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

My husband and I visited Bournemouth this weekend, this was my first visit and I have to say I thought the beaches were fabulous, very clean, well looked after and lots of lifeguards around. We didn't venture into the town centre but we had a fabulous weekend and would highly recommend it, very enjoyable and of course we were very lucky to have great hot sunny weather all weekend.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

In response to PetePeterborough I complained to the police by letter about the cyclists you mean and also the lads in the centre by Debenhams on skateboards at night ... jumping up into the air intermigling with passers by . This was followed up by a phone call to my home telling me to phone them whenever I felt the offenders were a nuisance.

Why were things not put into place to stop these offenders ?

So after many years of holidaymaking in Bournemouth[ particularly loved the hotels in Southbourne which have now been turned into complexes of flats and small hotels in Boscombe] I felt after 4 years running staying in hotels in the West Cliff area that it was becoming run down and true enough lots of groups of stags and hens ruining couples/ family holidays this is the first year I have missed booking in years.

The clifftop bus which ran from Sandbanks to Christchurch has been withdrawn now and that was a really good service.

All I can do now is look back and think of the good holidays I had there.

bournemouth
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

I fear that the malaise you describe in Bournemouth is commonplace across the UK. It afflicts almost every town and city where the local authority has deemed it necessary to install a 'vibrant night-time economy'. That phrase is the death-knell for town centres, because its interpretation invariably involves lots of cheap booze. And where cheap booze becomes the main appeal, you can guaranatee it will atttract a low-rent clientele. It would be naive to think that the resort can remain immune from prevailing social and cultural trends.

I love Bournemouth, and as a resident I know where to go and where not to. But of of course the place has changed in recent years, particulalry in the centre where it is obvious that it has become a no-go zone in the evenings to anyone over 40. But there are plenty of places slightly away from the main strip that are civilised - the kind of places where men don't wear football shirts, and where women don't sport tattoos.

The good in Bournemouth still outweighs the bad. If I start getting depressed, I think of the superb beaches, the annual air show, the cliff top views across to Old Harry, buying fresh fish every morning on the beach.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

I have a laugh to myself when I hear people complain about places. Especially where I live.

I remember the saying, " When you are pointing the finger there are is alway three fingers pointing back ".

I live down here in the Bournemouth area right opposite the beach & I love it.

I have travelled extensively throughout the UK & that makes me appreciate where I live alot more.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oh dear poor bournemouth

Yes, but people are entitled to their opinion. If they have not enjoyed their stay then they are allowed to say so. Don't take it personally. But not everyone is going to enjoy Bournemouth. if you love it there,great,but sadly negatives always seem to prevail on these forums.