We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Why would any business choose to alienate its customers at the first point of contact?

Well that is the experience that awaits you if you chose to be dropped off or picked up at Bournemouth Airport. As soon as you turn into the airport approach road you are funnelled into a traffic system that leaves the ordinary motorist no option but to enter the car park thus incurring a minimum £2.50 fee! There are NO free drop off or pick up facilities!

The merits of the charge are debateable the real issue is the feeling that you have been ripped off in the same way as if you have been wheel clamped by a bunch of cowboy traffic enforcers.

So next time you are attracted by a cheap flight from RyanAir or Thompson, just add a further fiver on – who knows it might make the difference about where you chose to fly from. It should certainly send a message to the numpties who have created a public relations disaster in the hope of extorting a few more pounds by ambushing unaware travellers. Rant over

Christchurch
Level Contributor
427 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

How many other airports are within £5 worth of transport of Bournemouth? It's a bad tactic but the hysteria it's caused has been beyond belief. The access to the airport will remain one of it's biggest barriers, the mentality of the British public will be it's biggest.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
2. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Bournemouth is not the only airport that does this type of thing - it's becoming increasingly common.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 08:16
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Are there no signs at all warning you of this charge prior to entering the road?

Level Contributor
3,949 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

3. There would have to be.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

4. - I would have thought so which is why I asked.

If there are then is it not a "scam"

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
762 posts
330 reviews
6. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Yep, similar at Humberside

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
7. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

You are right about the two pound fifty charge but also an additional one pound fifty if you use a credit card. Do note the charges also apply to off site taxis as well and there is no safe walking access to the terminal building. This is one airport that needs to be avioded.

Dorset UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Yes you are all correct. It's £2.50 and, I think, extra if you pay by credit card. Not only that, it's one of those two step parking situations where: 1. you go through the entrance barrier and get your ticket, then 2. You park your car and walk to a separate machine (in a different part of the car park), insert your ticket and pay the amount output to the screen.

In a normal parking situation I would not object to this (or to the price). However, if you are simply dropping someone off and plan to be there, literally, for one minute and you’re in a hurry, it’s not stress less. You have to park and take some time to get out of the car park. I've just been down there to drop someone & luckily I was not in a rush. I can confirm that there are definitely big yellow signs warning you that this is a pay area (with a large £2.50 minimum on the sign) as soon as you enter the airport road. You are funnelled into a road with cones along it and no safe pedestrian path. So it is difficult to walk with luggage. Locals are furious about this charge which is seen as petty by many and I understand the local MP is speaking to the airport owners later this month (June 2011). Some travellers have taken to being dropped off at the Hurn village roundabout and walking with luggage along a reasonably busy road to the airport. I would say that, whatever your feelings, this is not advisable due to the lack of continuous pathway.

Level Contributor
3,949 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

So basically, its a clearly marked charge, and you dont have to pay as you are warned in advance so you can choose not to use it.

So any suggestion its a scam is BS, its just the OP didnt like to pay.

Edited: 02 June 2011, 06:45
Norfolk
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

I went to pick my mate up at 6.30 am off the turkey flight. I was actually appalled at the situation there. 4 marshalls in dayglow jackets were franky intimidating. I had decided to just put up with things and pay the "fine" as i call it prior to travelling.

I took a few minutes whilst waiting for my mate to have a scout around and talked to some taxi drivers who said it was legalised robbery and that even they had to add on the parking charge just to drop off or pick up a passenger. ( imagine that system being acceptable at bournemouth railway station?).

I saw the marshalls being very bullish with people that had decided to walk into or out of the airport!. All in all i think it is a quite disgracefull way to treat us who have been loyal customers for so many years. Pity old Peter Bath is not with us, i reckon he would have told em to stick there charge where the sun dont shine!.

Get answers to your questions about Bournemouth
Recent Conversations