We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Why would any business choose to alienate its customers at the first point of contact?

Well that is the experience that awaits you if you chose to be dropped off or picked up at Bournemouth Airport. As soon as you turn into the airport approach road you are funnelled into a traffic system that leaves the ordinary motorist no option but to enter the car park thus incurring a minimum £2.50 fee! There are NO free drop off or pick up facilities!

The merits of the charge are debateable the real issue is the feeling that you have been ripped off in the same way as if you have been wheel clamped by a bunch of cowboy traffic enforcers.

So next time you are attracted by a cheap flight from RyanAir or Thompson, just add a further fiver on – who knows it might make the difference about where you chose to fly from. It should certainly send a message to the numpties who have created a public relations disaster in the hope of extorting a few more pounds by ambushing unaware travellers. Rant over

South East, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

At the traffic lights turn the other way and drop off passengers. It's a short walk to the terminal. Loads of people do it.

(Disabled et al excepted).

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
112. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

It`s a short walk down a narrow road that clearly says no pedestrians. i can`t believe the local council haven`t got involved

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

I recently left my car at a friend's house very close to Bournemouth Airport. It was close enough to walk. However when I arrived at the airport entrance I could only get to departures by walking along a narrow stretch of road alongside passing cars. The airport has coned off any areas where a passenger could walk safely to and from the airport. I felt very unsafe along this 200-300yd stretch. Surely this is a Health and Safety issue.

Similarly to my case, how are hitch hikers meant to safely get in to departures? Anyone who gives them a lift is surely not going to pay to drop them off at the airport, but rather just outside.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

I believe hitch hikers instead use Southampton or Gatwick airports instead as that is quicker and simpler than paying £2.50

Winchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
115. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

My experience with Bournemouth Airport Parking charges was with the Long-Term. I was only there for a little over 2 days, flying to visit a sick relative - the charge £65. I actually called the parking centre twice to make sure there wasn't a mistake and i'd parked in a short term overflow or something similar. Apparently not, £25 the first day and £20 per day after.

This to my mind really is a scam, £2.50 i can live with £65 is somewhat different. It's not even as if it's obvious what the charges are, you really only get a chance to view them once you're committed and right at the barrier with little chance of reversing out.

Complete scam - i will definitely avoid this airport from here on in. The additional costs have to be added to the flights when calculating if it's worth bothering or using Southampton instead.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
116. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

I totally agree. It is an absolute disgrace. Furthermore the parking attendant yesterday was extremely rude and stopped me from opening the door to let my passenger [who was travelling with only hand luggage] by standing in my way so I could not turn round in the road. He funnelled me into the parking at £2.50 for 1 minute.

This is indeed a scam.

Better to try Southampton Eastleigh airport for your flights - free for 10 minutes to pick up or drop off with no Gestapo in attendance either!!!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
117. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Will the new owners of Southampton airport maintain the free drop off though.....???

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
118. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

We wait with baited breath!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
119. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

We wait with baited breath!

Whiteley
Level Contributor
10 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
120. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

I do believe 'perie 369' has a case for bullying & harassment against Bournemouth Airport. Bad treatment goes both ways. Shame you didn't take their name (and number if they had one). Wonder if it's caught on CCTV.

Like other reviewers I wonder how long Southampton Drop Off will stay free. Customers will end up being dropped off at the first roundabout by the garage.

About time all motorists got together & boycotted all towns, airports etc who keep introducing charges as they see us as easy targets. It's just to increase revenue not to reduce congestion.

Get answers to your questions about Bournemouth
Recent Conversations