We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Why would any business choose to alienate its customers at the first point of contact?

Well that is the experience that awaits you if you chose to be dropped off or picked up at Bournemouth Airport. As soon as you turn into the airport approach road you are funnelled into a traffic system that leaves the ordinary motorist no option but to enter the car park thus incurring a minimum £2.50 fee! There are NO free drop off or pick up facilities!

The merits of the charge are debateable the real issue is the feeling that you have been ripped off in the same way as if you have been wheel clamped by a bunch of cowboy traffic enforcers.

So next time you are attracted by a cheap flight from RyanAir or Thompson, just add a further fiver on – who knows it might make the difference about where you chose to fly from. It should certainly send a message to the numpties who have created a public relations disaster in the hope of extorting a few more pounds by ambushing unaware travellers. Rant over

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

I have never seen a taxi drop off area and i use the airport twice a year.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

It's to the left as you leave arrivals. I thought it was only used for pick ups but our taxi driver said that the companies who are eligible to use it can also drop, but I haven't seen any info that says that to be true. Warrens and/or Streamline I think are the 2 firms using it(well they were the only vehicles in it when we arrived a few weeks back)

Southampton
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

So is it actually illegal to walk into the airport and can the security actually stop you or is it just not recommended because there is no pavement? I thought unless it was a motorway you can walk on any road even with no pavement!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Its just very dangerous. A footpath and free drop off point should be mandatory at every airport in my opinion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Bournemouth are thieving gits and i am surprised this is legal.

who owns the airport now?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Manchester Airport Group

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

A comment by a presenter on a TV programme the other day about the cost of dropping off etc at airports was something like "At least at Bournemouth Airport it isn't far to walk down the road into the airport if you get dropped off outside it". Never mentioned about it being illegal or unsafe to walk it. Thought of this thread at the time.........

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

On the road entering the airport, the existing pavements have been blocked off and made impassable by large obstacles. So the only way to proceed past the obstacles would be to step into the road. Just before the obstacles, there is a sign telling pedestrians they may not pass "for your own safety". That is one of the most breathtakingly cynical things I have seen in quite a while.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

Not so much getting het up about the parking charges for a week/two week period as you can choose not to leave your car and either get a taxi or be dropped off and picked up by a handy son(!). BUT I am not at all happy about the lack of a short free period for such dropping off and picking up. Agree the charge incurred then is a rip off.

Back earlier in the year we purchased a couple of new cabin cases and I decided it would be best to check at the local airports that they did in fact fit in to the 'boxes' provided by the differing airlines we might use. Yep you guessed it - I had to pay the £2.50 charge at Bournemouth just to quickly run in and out.

Incidentally there was a 'heavy' outside the airport but only one desk was open and manned by a lady and one chap was wandering around (possibly security?). Other than that it was only me in the terminal. It was like a morgue!

Even though it wasn't into the holiday season it did strike me that this wasn't exactly the hub of a busy transport system.

When, I wonder, will 'big' companies realise that to generate business in this economic climate the answer is not to continally raise or add new charges but to offer their customers a good deal.

And for Bournemouth Airport that should start with fairness when it comes to getting their passengers to and from the terminal!

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Bournemouth Airport Parking scam

You are missing the point that the approach road is a fast open road average speed 50mph, no signs are on this road, you turn from this road to get to the airport, only then you are met by the signage. By this time you cannot turn, no turning signs and a civil aviation building which has high security, cameras etc. turn and you are caught on camera, now you have no option but to enter the car park 100m further up. This road is manned by security guards, this alone must absorbe the £2.50 charge, as I am sure they will tell, it appears they spend the day telling drivers there is no other option but to pay.

I concurr withe previous writers, you are left feeling ripped off, I'm sure family members and friends have been 'trapped' with no form of payment,, my kids rarely carry cash and do not use cards! This may have been meant as a profit centre, but with it has brought costs, guards and hostility.

I would glady use public transport but this airport is in a rural area and my 40 minute journey would take at least 2 hrs and at least 2 forms of transport eg: bus, taxi or train.

The accountants have got it wrong here.