We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

After travelling through Bournemouth airport over the last few winters on business (Easyjet do not fly to my destination in the Summer) I can say that for this airport to expand and be taken seriously so that business travelers want to use it - and perhaps airlines may then bring more flights here - then may I make a few suggestions:

Business people do not always want to get to the airport at the last minute - risking travel hassle - and therefore they may like to get to the airport early and do some work using their portable communications devices. What do we find: the cafe outside security opens at only 8:45 so one might want to go through security, but no, one has to wait until 9:15 (when check in opens; even though lots of people travel light and print their own boarding passes these days and do not use the check ins).

So although the secure side cafe opens at 8:30 and the duty free opens at 08:00 you cannot get to them.

When you arrive back into Bournemouth there is a pleasant surprise as they encourage you to burn off those extra holiday calories making you wander around a long boring serpentine getting to the passport control - everyone complains - but they refuse to change it. This is perfectly OK if you are coming back from your yearly holiday - but if you do it every week on business its a waste of valuable time, and an aggravation.

One good aspect of the drop off arrangements do favour business people in that it costs £2.50 just to drop someone off and they ensure this by trapping you with bollards down the middle of the road to stop you turning around once you turn into the airport road - a nice touch that. Business people will be claiming this back from their companies, or arriving by hire car (more portacabins) Taxi - but tough luck on holidaymakers.

Of course if Bournemouth's long term plans are to stay a little local airport dealing with a few tourists then please ignore me (as you have done over the last few years).

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

So let me get this right ....

You want the facilities of a business-oriented airport.

But you want to pay Easyjet fares for it.

I see.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

Perhaps you may wish to send your ideas to the owners and operators of the airport?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

So they should remodel the passport control area every time you fly in as your time is more important than everyone elses? I can't imagine why they haven't pandered to your ego when you have raised these concerns in the past

Lewes, England.
Level Contributor
205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

Bournemouth Airport, similar to Poole harbour, has little commercial focus.

The O.P doesn't have any choice of airline from Bournemouth....

And every point he raises is valid...... Bournemouth airport is sooooo quiet and even if there are 50 passengers in the entire arrival terminal, they still make you walk the corridors of shame........

I stopped using the airport a good few years ago when Southampton pulled its socks up. Vote with your feet, use Southampton.

~ I would not be surprised if Both Poole ferry port and Bournemouth airport shut in the next year.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

Crazy...Bournemouth has never been a business airport, never will. Its the right airport in the wong place, should be in Southampton. But I love the place, 2 min walk from car park to terminal, 5min walk from checkin to departure lounge. Its a longer drive for me than LGW,LHR or LTN but its so easy.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

How can it expand? It's got a main road on either side, Foxbury Hill to the north, and the suburbs of Bournemouth to its south.

So, we'll ask a developer to stump up millions, compulsory purchase 100s of homes to make way for a longer runway, or even another runway and totally redesign the airport just to make it handier for you? Oh yes, and sort out the "boring serpentine walk to passport control" just to keep you happy?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

Why would it need a longer runway anyway? It's length has meant it's been capable of supporting pretty much anything (i.e. Concorde/747s all have used it for that reason). It's major downside is access (unless you're already local when it's brilliant). As for it shutting down in a year? Not a chance. It will never compete as a business airport but has no real need to as Southampton caters for that and offers connections towards London to to the South Coast. As a 'holiday' airport it has a large surrounding population(and one that is fairly affluent/cash/time rich). As long as it continues to provide routes that suit that population it will continue. .If it also manages to increase it's holiday offerings for the wider market again it will stand in good stead. Chasing a business market would be folly, it's location precludes it from that, by virtue of it's origins it would never fulfill that purpose so they really have no need to pander to that market

8. Re: How Can We Improve Bournemouth Airports Business Traveler Ex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Bournemouth
Recent Conversations