We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vagrants in Bournemouth

Leighton Buzzard...
Level Contributor
20 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Vagrants in Bournemouth

Hi just returned from a weekend in Bournemouth and appalled at the changes since the end of November. Staying at the excellent premier inn central we were reluctant to leave the safe haven of the hotel after dark. Every doorway seemed to be home to another vagrant. Why are the local authorities allowing this situation. Don't they care that they will lose repeat visitors this season. Bournemouth is a great place but so are Eastbourne, Brighton, and

Plymouth last time I looked they don't have this problem. Please clean it up Bournemouth.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

How do you "clean up" a city where homeless people congregate?

Bulldoze them out? Force them to wear yellow stars?

No doubt Milton Keynes is a model of enlightenment, with special patrols to throw them into rubbish carts and dump them in the countryside. Or maybe it's so full of obnoxious people even the most desperately homeless would rather find shelter somewhere else?

The problem of homelessness is caused by a selfish society. What has gunnerbill done - except whinge - to help alleviate it?

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

I am off to Bournemouth this weekend

Never felt ill at ease because some poor sole has fell on hard times had a chat in town to a chap a couple of years ago in Bournemouth very sad story

So whilst staying in my superior sea front hotel I wont be afraid to go out in the evening Who knows what could happen in our life to any of us ?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

You get "vagrants" everywhere, even in Liverpool!

I prefer to call them "homeless", and most are well known to the police for obvious reasons which I won't go into on here.

Even Bath, where I lived for several years, has many of these "vagrants" - you can either walk past and ignore them, or give them "23p for the night shelter"!

P.S. but they don't stop me from going out!

Edited: 10 March 2014, 18:56
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

They are usually harmless

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

Why are you reluctant to go out of your hotel because there are 'vagrants' in doorways? I don't quite understand your reasoning.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

Has the OP ever been to London!? ;-)

I met a "vagrant" in Leicester Square a few years ago - he had a degree from Cambridge and used to have a well paid job and was married with kids.

But he fell on hard times and ended up on the streets of London.

I had a good chat with him, gave him some spare change and a ciggy, and he appreciated that I had given him my time.

A lot of "vagrants" are actually ex-forces.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 19:30
Leighton Buzzard...
Level Contributor
20 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

Wow, thanks all for the contrary opinions, I must be getting old and intolerant. I must make a point of striking up a conversation with the next vagrant I meet. Having spent 50 years continuously employed I suppose I shouldn't object to tiptoeing through the early night soil, I would really like to understand how it is possible to live in a doorway, smoking, drunk, and feeding a dog. I like the pier at bournemouth, it is just short enough for a long walk.

Leighton Buzzard...
Level Contributor
20 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

The people I experienced struggled to communicate. I doubt any of the were ex services. They were all very unfortunate.

9. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 22:02
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Vagrants in Bournemouth

A degree from Cambridge? Pah! Most of the vagrants round our way are Nobel Prize winners and the guy who tiled my bathroom was the Prime Minister of Poland.