We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Does anyone have an idea of the taxi cost (estimate) from Southampton (near the cruise ship terminal) to Bournemouth Airport.

I found one estimate on-line for about GPB27 (during the day) with a time of 21 minutes.

Does this sound about right?

I looked at other alternatives (bus/train) and found that for 2 people travelling together taking the taxi is cost effective and efficient.

Thank you.

Geoff

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
Christchurch
Level Contributor
417 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

The online estimate is way off. I'd budget around £50-60 and at least 40 minutes during the day

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Sounds a little conservative to me - I think the journey time is over-optimistic and I would allow a good hour, especially during the Summer. You are probably looking at closer to £40.00.

Still, it's a tricky journey door-to-door by public transport so a taxi probably is your best bet.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 12:16
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

21 minutes sounds like a very speedy driver - he might perhaps manage it on a quiet traffic day, but doubtful

Christchurch
Level Contributor
417 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Even on a quiet day it would be impossible. Having driven the section from the Southampton motorway junction to the A338 junction at Bournemouth airport that alone was over 20 minutes this afternoon with very little traffic so adding on the additional bit at either end I stand by my original suggestion of 40 mins approx. Local Bournemouth taxis quote about £50-55 to Southampton cruise terminals so I would say broadly the same figure. Plus the ever popular £2.50 drop off fee.....

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Probably far too late, but castle-cabs.co.uk do a set fare for £45. I think metered rate is nearer £65-70. A lot of these pricing websites base their fares on when they were first written 10 years ago and never get updated lol!

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Google Earth says it is 29.1 miles and takes 37 minutes.

kent
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

You must be the Danny in the Castle cabs adverts Call Danny on 07047 xxxx87

Self promotion is not allowed on Tripadvisor,

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

I would suggest phoning up a couple of private hire firms and ask for a fixed price quote. Remember the cost is dependent in the time of day, as night rates are more expensive, especially over midnight.

Train would be best, and take a cab up to and from the train station.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

I used to work in the office of a large taxi company in Southampton. We had a fixed fare from within the Southampton CITY boundary to Bournemouth Airport of £50. That was to the Airport ONLY however. And we also recommended leaving 1.5 hours before airport check-in time.

Obviously, under normal circumstances, it wouldn't take that long, but we knew from bitter experience that it just takes one idiot on the M27 to grind the entire south-coast to a standstill, which is why the 1.5 hours for anything time-critical.

Take from that, what you will!

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
kent
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southampton to Bournemouth - Cost of a taxi

Only a year and a week since the original post, I am sure they are long gone by now!

Get answers to your questions about Bournemouth