We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Which Bournemouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Hi guys I'm staying in Bournemouth for 2 days in September I am planning to visit one of these Cathedrals by public transport. Which one of these cathedrals is a nice train or bus ride to visit.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,025 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Gawd!

They are both dead interesting!

I marginally favour Salisbury, the tallest spire and IMO one of the prettiest Cathedrals in the UK (it was my favourite for many years, but now has equal faves!)

Winchester is imposing, with an amazing history, but is more, um.... Utilitarian? Perhaps? Though that is not necessarily a bad thing, starker architecture can often be very "telling".

So it just "depends"

http://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk

http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iie-0_DHJjg

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Winchester is on the main railway line from Bournemouth to London - see www.southwesttrains.co.uk. For Salisbury, you either take the same train and change at Southampton or there's a direct bus - see www.morebus.co.uk/service.shtml… Both routes go through parts of the New Forest.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

The town of Winchester and the cathedral have played quite an important part in the life of the country, and Winchester was the first capital of England after Alfred the Great managed to unite the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms. Parts of Winchester Cathedral date back to Anglo-Saxon times, making it far older than Salisbury. Salisbury was planned and built in one enterprise, hence its more elegant and symmetrical look, and only dates to 1320, its predecessor having been built in old Sarum, a nearby town that has all but disappeared.

Both towns and both cathedrals have oodles of History, but Winchester has about 500 years-worth more than Salisbury. So really it comes down to whether you want to put age before beauty!

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Looks like Winchester has more history than salisbury. Is Winchester a bigger city than salisbury and nicer to have a good meal and have a stroll round the city.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

You can always go to Stonehenge from Salisbury if that's of interest, with Winchester I know though I haven't visited them, that there are some Jane Austen things to see.

IMO Winchester or Salisbury, apart from a few historical areas and bits and pieces are pretty much like any UK town centre, same chains stores, coffee shops etc, each have got stuff to see and in a day or so I doubt you'd notice much difference.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Winchester is a tad bigger than Salisbury, but there's not much in it. Both cities have plenty of places for shopping, dining and sightseeing. Here's more information about both.

visitwiltshire.co.uk/explore/salisbury-and-s…

http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/

Edited: 28 July 2014, 12:06
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

Salisbury cathedral has (or had) a copy of Magna Carta on display - it's the 800th anniversary next year.

Other than that, write the names on a piece of paper and draw one out of a hat, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

It must be 20 years ago that I read it but I very much enjoyed 'Sarum' by Edward Rutherfurd. I suggest you read it too and then, I strongly suspect, you'll elect to visit Salisbury.

9. Re: Which cathedral is better to visit Salisbury or Winchester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:15