We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The City of Dorchester

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
23 posts
398 reviews
Save Topic
The City of Dorchester

My wife and I recently returned from a two week trek from Gatwick to East Sussex to Weymouth through Devon to Taunton onward to Tetbury, up into the Cotwolds to Burbury and then on to Oxford and back to Gatwick. It was a wonderful journey though I'm not sure I would recom. taking this drive over 1,000 miles in July. Our previous trips, in May and June, lasted 18 days and one is not so rushed. Despite assuances that 'school was not out ye't, -it was and the roads were pretty crowded. There seem to be more 'lorries' (trucks) on the road since our last visit in 1999 and the deisel fumes were a 'hinderence'. But, the reason for this e-mail is to tell everyone I can about the beautiful, pristine City of Dorchester. It was spotless, filled with great shops and restaurants. We had lunch at The Old Tea House, dating back to 1635 and it was excellent. Next stop was not the King Tut Exposition which was in town, as we had seen it in New Orleans years past but, The Teddy Bear Museum. If your wife is into Teddy Bears like mine (collects minitures and makes Tedy Bears from MINK, MUSKRAT, FOX ETC -OLD DISCARDED FUR COATS-) it's a must stop and see. We wish we could have stayed longer but, we pressed on to Lyme Regis. But, what ever you do- don't drive PAST Dorchester. It's awesome

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The City of Dorchester

BentleyBoy: Thanks for the tip; I'll put Dorchester on my long list of "more places to visit." How was Lyme Regis?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The City of Dorchester

Dorchester is great, and a must for anyone who likes Thomas Hardy (Dorchester is Casterbridge in his novels).

Sorry you were mis-informed about schools. They always break up mid July (slightly different dates for different Local Authorities), but generally around July 18th, give or take a few days.

However, colleges and Uni's would have broken up earlier.

M

Poole UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The City of Dorchester

So glad you liked our county town. I guess it is a bit overlooked with Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth etc being a bit more obvious.

This part of the coast is a World Heritage Site due to the fossils and important geology from Devon to Swanage in Dorset. There are some nice museums opening to reflect that.

Get answers to your questions about Dorchester