We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

I'd like to purchase a T-Mobile PAYG mobile broadband dongle for my laptop after we arrive in England in September and I'm hoping to get some suggestions on where I might find one in Norfolk.

We'll be landing at Heathrow (on a Saturday) and driving up to Cromer for the week. I didn't see any T-Mobile stores anywhere around Cromer, and found a Carphonewarehouse in Norwich. Will that be the nearest/most convenient place to pick up one?

Thanks,

Kay

Norfolk
Level Contributor
57 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Probably Norwich or Kings Lynn is the best place to go. I dont think that there are any outlets in Cromer, although these kind of outlets spring up and close down on a regular basis. There is a mobile phone shop in Holt which is nearer than Norwich, at the time of writing dont know what its called as I think that it is not part of a big chain but no doubt a search on a Holt site might tell you more. If you are driving from Heathrow you may be passing through Swaffham which is a biggish town and you may want to check that out as they probably have a mobile phone shop. Be very careful though not all networks work in this part of England. I live nearish to Holt and find that the only coverage I get is with Vodafone and that is sporadic. There must be a coverage map somewhere on the internet that could show you how good the connections are.

Christine

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Kay,

I'd agree with the comment about coverage. I was in that area last November. We had Vodaphone, Tmobile and Orange, and none had anything but sporadic, weak signals.

Peter

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Thanks Christine and Peter. I was a bit concerned about signal strength in that area. I was able to find a couple of signal strength maps and T-Mobile showed good (two bars) coverage for the area and 3 showed variable to weak.

It's not a huge deal if we don't have internet while in Norfolk - or if it's sporadic. We travel to the UK every year and I take my mini laptop for journaling, photo uploads, etc... and thought the PAYG mobile broadband would be nice to have - especially when we're in London. More convenient than searching out internet cafes - especially for online check-in for flights home.

Thanks,

Kay

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Hi Kayb

I'm with 02 and the reception is fine in N.Norfolk - the occasional blackspot out in the wilds, but generally not an issue.

You'll find a Carphone Warehouse store in Fakenham - on your way to Cromer if you're coming in via Swaffham rather than Norwich.

There's a couple of shops in Sheringham that sell the mobile dongles I'm pretty sure and I seem to remember that there was a mobile phone shop in Cromer but it's been a while since I was there last.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Thanks! Good to know I may be able to find a dongle in Norfolk. :o)

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
519 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

I have to be honest that we had a lot of problems with getting a mobile signal whilst we were in the Broads recently. I spent quite a bit of money on mobile broadband and it was a complete waste of time. Sorry........We couldn't even get a mobile phone signal.

However, a lot of the pubs and restaurants we visited had free WiFi which helped.

Our networks are Orange, O2 and Three.

norfolk
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

There is often a problem getting a signal anywhere along the coast, so you may have difficulties getting a connection, did a search on Cromer and there is a shop there called Videovision that sells mobile phones but no details on the net about what else they stock, there is a phone shop in Fakenham, if you want next time I'm in town I will ask for you if they sell dongles, Norwich (unless it's finished) were offering free access throughout the city, but have noticed places advertising wi-fi connections available, so that may be an option.

Regards,

Jean.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Thanks, dizzyb and Jean. I was impatient (as always) and bought a used T-Mobile dongle on ebay. Including shipping to the US, it was £24. So (unless I got ripped off), I should just be able to top it up when I get to the UK.

Like I said, it's not a huge deal if I don't get a signal while we're in Cromer. It would be nice, but not critical. I wanted it more for London and future trips.

I sure wish we had PAYG mobile broadband here in the US. Here, you have to sign up for a 2-year contract and pay $60/month. My family has a cottage in an area of Michigan that doesn't offer traditional broadband and there isn't even dial-up access. It would be really nice to have something like that there.

norfolk
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Dear Kay,

Hope your purchase turns out okay, think it's a good price and worth a try, it's so handy to be able to access the net while you are away, we feel quite lost without it, another option would be to tap into an unsecured network.

Hope you enjoy your holiday, have you been to Norfolk before? we are quite laid back here and the pace of life is a lot more relaxed than in the more hectic parts of the country.

If I can help with any other info don't hesitate to ask,

Jean.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet Access - Mobile Broadband

Jean, we were in Norfolk on our very first trip to the UK in 1998. We stayed at Cromer Country Club on a timeshare trade and loved the location of the resort - so we're staying there again in September.

We really liked the area, but, as it was our first and supposedly our only trip, we tried doing too much and didn't get to spend as much time as we'd like in Norfolk. We're going to stick to the area this time and not do crazy daytrips to London and Warwick like we did last time.

We'll have one week in Norfolk, then one week at our timeshare in London. My dad will be spending both weeks in Norfolk. The first week with us, then he's doing one of those metal-detecting tours (based out of Hunstanton.)

We have't gotten all our plans made yet for Norfolk, so I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. I know we want to see Sandringham, Blickling Hall, Felbrigg Hall and were thinking about that seal thing in Blakney.

Any good car boot sales to recommend?